Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Quick update

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

So last time i posted my platelet count was 56, in a week it dropped to 53. dh and i talked and i no longer feel comfortable with a home birth with it being so close to 50. so we are going to call an ob that we heard is very supportive of natural births and see if he will take me as a patient. a part of me feels like a failure, like i am failing myself, dh, baby, my midwife, etc because im not doing a home birth. the other part of me wants to be safe rather than sorry.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

If your heart is still wanting a VBAC, you can always go to a qualified OB for a "consultation" about your lowering platelet count.  There is no reason why you shouldn't consult with as many people as you need in order to get the results that you want...  :)  How many more weeks do you have?

rmgriffberg
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Oh im definitely getting a vbac. I had wanted a home birth but with the numbers dropping so fast I dont think that is for the best. I have 3 weeks ish

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If your heart is still wanting a VBAC, you can always go to a qualified OB for a "consultation" about your lowering platelet count.  There is no reason why you shouldn't consult with as many people as you need in order to get the results that you want...  :)  How many more weeks do you have?

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting rmgriffberg:

Oh im definitely getting a vbac. I had wanted a home birth but with the numbers dropping so fast I dont think that is for the best. I have 3 weeks ish

You're almost there!

I understand that low platelets increase bleeding risks during/after both vaginal or surgical birth, so it seems that your instincts are leading you in the right path to keep you safe...  (Keep in mind that epidural placement may also more risky for people with low platelets, so make sure you do your research before you arrive in the hospital.  Most give epidurals a very "hard sell").

Will your midwife be allowed to atttend you in the hospital?  If not, maybe she can be there in the role of a doula?

isaacsmommy68
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Go to an OB and let them know you prefer natural. You may be surprised. Mine was great. The only issue he had was if there was an emergency he wanted to make sure I would let the staff do what they needed to do. Unfortunatly there was an emergency, but all tunred out great. I did getan epidural that did not work and ended up with a blood batch that also did not work. I don't recommed them. The pain after was ,much worse than labor pains
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww, don't feel a failure! It's nothing you can control, no need to feel bad about something like that.
I know a most of the natural moms look down on hospital birth, but honestly it can be a great experience. My first was iffy, but my second and third were AWESOME. The staff, especially my nurses were amazing at supporting me in my desire for a natural birth. With my third, I was at that stage where you want to give up and seriously considering it and it was my NURSE who rather than call for pain relief, reminded me of what I wanted and encouraged me to sick to my plan.

I think having your homebirth midwife there with you for the birth is a great idea. She can encourage and keep you focused if you happen to get a not-so-supportive medical staff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I'm sorry things aren't working out the way you had planned. I had a fantastic natural birth experience in the hospital with my last baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

This. But make that with both my babies. Your platelet levels are really low

Quoting JMmama:

I'm sorry things aren't working out the way you had planned. I had a fantastic natural birth experience in the hospital with my last baby.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Hospital birth doesnt equal failure...HUGS momma

pipers_mom
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My first wasn't the best experience, but it was ok. With my second and third it was great! With my second the nurses are who told me about different positions that would help with my back labor. With my third it was the nurses who reminded me how much I wanted to let my body do it's thing and they hung out with me after he was born so I wouldn't get bored while DH was sleeping. You didn't fail, you're putting babies safety first! I hope you can find an OB, good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)