Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Paragard Mamas....how long are your periods? *Update3* its out!

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 26 Replies

Alright Ladies, I had my paragard inserted last April. Coming up on a year of having it. I naturally have a long period, it will last 8-9 days on its own...well my periods on the paragard have been LOOOONG like 3 weeks long. Now I count till I stop spotting too, so I don't know how you ladies count but I spot FOREVER. And then sometimes even when Im ovulating i'll get tinged sticky discharge (which is normally clearish/white) sorry if tmi...but Ive read you normally don't get the super long periods after 6 months of having the iud. So. That being said I'm just curious as to what others have experienced. I'm also still nursing my dd 2-3 times a day, she is going to be 14 months this week. Thoughts?

Ok so i've been doing some research online about herbal contraceptives, from what i've read some women have had success with using it in combination with Rutin.... so i'm going to continue to research.

Update#2 I'm having the iud removed and just doing NFP...i just can't justify keeping something that is causing me to feel like crap.

Update3: its out yay!
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I have had the Paragard a year. My periods are super heavy but shorter than they ever were before. It's weird. Weird question... Does yours hurt? The Dr said it's from nursing. It hurts to babywear for very long or exercise but sometimes it just hurts for no reason. I'm getting mine out this week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jynkx
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM

im going on my 6th year with it and my periods are at least 7 days.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM
My periods are naturally about 4 days, very light on day 1& 4 and what I thought was pretty heavy on the middle days. Ha!
With Paragard they were 8 days and at least 5 of those days so heavy that I'd frequently bleed through BOTH a super tampon & pad within like 2 hours. It was ridiculous.

And I just read that for some women the heavy periods calm down after the first 6 months or so, but that for others the heavy periods last the whole time you have it. It definitely didn't seem like you should count onit getting better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I took mine out after 10 months, got Copper Toxicity from it. My periods naturally before were a week or less, with it they were two weeks plus! and heavy, going through a super tampon and pad at the same time in a couple hours with horrid cramps. 

Since having it out Im back to normal. 

Heres a link if you want to read some stories from other paragard users:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paragard-Dont-GET-ONE-Women-helping-women-to-be-informed/183953164966198?fref=ts

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Read some stories here, it should not hurt! 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paragard-Dont-GET-ONE-Women-helping-women-to-be-informed/183953164966198?fref=ts

Quoting jconney80:

I have had the Paragard a year. My periods are super heavy but shorter than they ever were before. It's weird. Weird question... Does yours hurt? The Dr said it's from nursing. It hurts to babywear for very long or exercise but sometimes it just hurts for no reason. I'm getting mine out this week.

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Mine hurts sometimes when having sex too. But that's the only time I feel it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

My periods on the Paraguard were not very long after (longest was about 7-8 days in the beginning, then shortening back to about 4 days after awhile).  However they were extremely painful and I bled HEAVILY for the first couple days.  A lot more than I ever did before.  I eventually got tired of the extra pain and bleeding and had it removed.  It just wasn't for me.

BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I started having pelvic pain and pressure after a few months of having mine.  Worse during sex sometimes, and really bad during and around ovulation.  That was one reason I had it removed.  In hindsight (and this is just my personal opinion having gone through this), IUD's are NOT natural, they are NOT side effect free, and I will never again have something implanted into my body, be it plastic, copper, or any other foreign material. 

Quoting jconney80:

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
The only reason I am keeping mine is because we aren't in a.living situation where we can have another child right now, dh is going to school full time and working part time. And I'm staying home to avoid childcare costs. I just can't do chemical bc, it screws me all up. So I'm having to grin and bear it till we can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kyuteangl88
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Mine naturally are 7-9 days, with Paragard they are 3-5, and I have no problems with it at all, I don't even have cramps anymore. Sorry you are having problems :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN