Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

sooooo i posted in the wrong group :/

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 14 Replies

serously, i should know better by now!  i posted in newcomers about night weaning a bottle fed baby because i thought they probably had more bottle experience than the lovely ladies here.  but i have to say....i dont believe that forcing a 4 month old to go all night without feeding them is my style of parenting.  so ANYWAY.....

here is my question.  my son is almost 10 months old has has totally reverse cycled.  he drinks all his bottles at night and only one during the day.  i really want him to do the opposite!  he has just started eating one small meal a day at supper time and tastes of food throughout the day.  also a lot of the time his donor milk is thin (foremilk) and isnt gestationally accurate so i understand why he wouldnt get very full from it.

but i am dying at night and have been putting off moving him to a crib because i know that getting up and out of bed 5 times a night is going to suck.  heck it already sucks to get woken up that many times a night and all i have to do is roll over.  i would like to get him back to drinking during the day and sleeping for longer periods at night.

so any advise on GENTLE night weaning?

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

thank you in advance :)

gamelas
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I am not sure I'd label this night weaning.  you need to re-cycle his eating pattern.  he still may take 1-2 feedings at night, but i would work on getting him to eat more during the day by making the bottles at night much smaller

tansyflower
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM

lol thanks for clarifying.  i dont mind him waking up a few times a night.  i just want him to cycle back to daytime feeds. 

right now he is getting 2-3 oz bottles out of a slow flow nipple.  he has never gotten large bottles.  i did brek down and gave him larger bottles a fe nights in a row hoping that "maybe" it would keep him fuller longer but it was a total fail and didnt work at all.

maybe i should cut it down to one once bottles?  idk.

Quoting gamelas:

I am not sure I'd label this night weaning.  you need to re-cycle his eating pattern.  he still may take 1-2 feedings at night, but i would work on getting him to eat more during the day by making the bottles at night much smaller

vanityrayne
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Oh geez..some people. Ugh. Maybe giving him a larger bottle before bed? Maybe let him have a semi larger meal and a tiny bit more milk before bed? I have no clue honestly:(. GL!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommathea
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM

First, I'd cut out all food durring the day till he is drinking his bottles. He may be wanting food more than his bottle and is holding out for that, and at nib he knows he's not getting food so drinks his bottle then. 

How often are you offering the bottle durring the day?  Offer all the time. In different rooms, different temps, ect. Switch things up.

also, are you practicing gentle night-weaning? It is easier of you have a person who doesn't always feed him his bottl do this.  When he wakes up at night, get to him as quickly as possible, do not take him out of his bed, but rub his back, whisper a lullaby, and other 'code' phrases for night time soothing.  Try to get him back to sleep without a bottle. If he is insistent about having his bottle give it to hom, but decrease his feedings slightly, say 1/2 - 1/3 less milk.   

You can give him as many bottles as you think he needs, but just try to stretch his frequency out a little.

Also, you can give him fattier table foods at night like avocado, and that should help stretch the feedings out.  

melindabelcher
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Try cutting back how much is in night time bottles by 0.5-1oz a bottle.
I would be hesitant with to much solids. I would treat it the same way as bf. No bottle first no solids
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM

start by restricting solids during the day until he starts taking the bottle. And offer the bottle all day. Then at night id say start with one feeding a week and don't give it to him. Hold him and cuddle him but no bottle. do this gradually and he will most likely start taking the day bottles. :)

tansyflower
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

thanks for everyones insight!  he really doesnt eat that much.  he has one meal at 5pm and other than that its all bottles.  today he took a total of 9 oz during the day and that was with me constantly shoving the bottle in his face.  he either chews on the nipple or he is to distracted to sit still and take more than 3 sucks before he is off and running.  i am going to try 2 oz bottles tonite and see if i can hold him off a feeding....wish me luck!

SadieJames
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

To ease the transition maybe do 2 oz until 2 am or something for a couple nights... That might help to slowly and gently move his eating habits.

Quoting tansyflower:

thanks for everyones insight!  he really doesnt eat that much.  he has one meal at 5pm and other than that its all bottles.  today he took a total of 9 oz during the day and that was with me constantly shoving the bottle in his face.  he either chews on the nipple or he is to distracted to sit still and take more than 3 sucks before he is off and running.  i am going to try 2 oz bottles tonite and see if i can hold him off a feeding....wish me luck!

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:51 PM

my breastfed baby is doing the same thing but she nurse during the day too.  The thing that pops into my head would would be to not give him so much at night he might be mad but how else would you switch him around? I also think it could be he is just too distracted during the day to want to sit to take a bottle and its dark and quiet at night so he will take them then. I know how hard that is is be woke up all the time. I would like to get my 1 year old sleeping better at night but I'm too tired and don't want her to cio either...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN