Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Any opinion about Essure birth control?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm investigating options and would love personal experience from any of you mamas who've had Essure...

Update: Since posting this in February, I've done some online studying and don't like what I've found out about it.  The risks are simply not worth it.   (And I TOTALLY agree with you gals who suggest a vasectomy as long-term birth control!)

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDFanatik
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Given the option for a tubal and the essure, I'd opt for a tubal (and I hate surgery).  Google that shizz- lots of bad reviews. 

momofqtees
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I had the Essure procedure in 2010 and I don't regret it.  I have had minor pain and some really bad periods previously but now my periods are shorter and lighter.  I would do it again.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cutie_pie200619
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

lots of pain dizzyness and now i think im pregant a year after having it done. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I have no experience with it but I've known a couple people who have had it done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JWu
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Yeah but if you google a tubal there's absolutely nothing but horror stories out there too. Actually based on google search results alone, I'm far more inclined to go with essure over a tubal. I wish I could really know though, internet horror stories are tough to judge. That and knowing the difference between women's tendencies to blame every problem on a device/procedure if they happen to have it and what's real is impossible to determine....
SIGH.
OP, I wish I knew I'm tryin to decide the same thing for after this baby!

Quoting NDFanatik:

Given the option for a tubal and the essure, I'd opt for a tubal (and I hate surgery).  Google that shizz- lots of bad reviews. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoeysApple
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of it. I plan to have dh get a vasectomy. Now to convince him....haha

tansyflower
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

well i know that kitschy had a horrible experience with it and the hard part is that IF you do have an issue not only will your insurance not pay to remove it, but there are only a few doctors in the COUNTRY that are trained to remove it.  i think her overal cost for removal is well over $5,000 which she cant afford to do atm.

it has not been on the market long enough for me personally to feel comfortable with it.  but then again i would never get a tubal either.  my husband got snipped....i figured if i had to go through giving birth the least he could do was get it done and he was fine with it.  there are a very small percentage of men who have issues with their vasectomies, but it is really small compared to the amount of woman who have problems with tubals or essure.

all i can say is do your research mama!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Essure is basically waiting ffor your body to form scar tissue t block the tubes..I dont WANT scar tissue down there! Theres too many issues caused by scar tissue AND it sounds painful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)