Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

cholestasis

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 49 Replies

So, I went to see my midwife today and she said that I may have cholestasis. She ordered some bloodwork and hooked me up to a fetal monitor for awhile, and she said that if there is any indication that I do have this condition, she wants me to be induced Friday- I'll be 39w. Induction is something I was hoping to avoid, I wanted to have an all-natural birth, but this has totally thrown me for a loop. She said that the reason they choose to act fast with cholestasis is that one of the risks is fetal death, which is terrifying to think about. My question is, does anybody know anything about this condition/have any personal experience? If I were to be induced, what methods might be safer than others? 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I imagine if she's a CNM she'll go right for cervidil (do NOT allow cytotec!).   Once you have a favorable cervix, she'll likely order Pitocin.  Then maybe she'll want to break your water to speed things along.  Get ready for a ride!  I've been induced twice--once for pre-e and once for Gestational Hypertension.  

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If you had this condition at 24 or 30 weeks, what would happen?  Is there medication they would give you?  Would they refer you out to a High Risk OB?

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I haven't had it, but it's definitely a valid indication for induction.

If I needed an induction, I personally would start with a foley bulb, then cervidil, and start with a pit drip if needed. Sometimes you can get labor started with pitocin and then turn it down or off. Keep water intact until it breaks naturally to reduce infection risk and avoid a c-section if the induction doesn't go fast enough for hospital policy.

mrsquigley24
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM

If I was not so far along she would attempt to treat it with medication first. She said since it would take at least a week for any treatment to be effective, it is a much better bet to get the baby out ASAP. She checked my cervix and I am 2 cm and 80% effaced- would the cervadil still be useful?? Could I possibly JUST have that rather than pitocin also? 

Mrs.Salz

You can drink lots of nettle tea and take milk thistle to help your liver with the processing, but it may or may not hold off an induction depending on how your bloodwork comes back.

mrsquigley24

What is a foley bulb? I'm not familiar with it.

Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM
It's a balloon used to physically dilate your cervix. I was induced for preeclampsia and I thought the Foley was my most painful intervention. I would rather do Pit.

Quoting mrsquigley24:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

It's a bulb that it inserted to help open the cervix. If you're already 2 cm you probably won't need it.

You can start with the cervidil and see how it goes from there, but it's a cervical ripener so it probably won't start contractions.

Quoting mrsquigley24:

mrsquigley24
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Is there an alternative to pitocin?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

It's a bulb that it inserted to help open the cervix. If you're already 2 cm you probably won't need it.

You can start with the cervidil and see how it goes from there, but it's a cervical ripener so it probably won't start contractions.

Quoting mrsquigley24:

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Quoting mrsquigley24:

Is there an alternative to pitocin?

None that I'm aware of.

Pitocin is the synthetic version of our body's oxytocin.  There are oxytocin supplements (for lack of a better word), but they're REALLY on the fringe with no really science behind them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)