Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

So, I went to see my midwife today and she said that I may have cholestasis. She ordered some bloodwork and hooked me up to a fetal monitor for awhile, and she said that if there is any indication that I do have this condition, she wants me to be induced Friday- I'll be 39w. Induction is something I was hoping to avoid, I wanted to have an all-natural birth, but this has totally thrown me for a loop. She said that the reason they choose to act fast with cholestasis is that one of the risks is fetal death, which is terrifying to think about. My question is, does anybody know anything about this condition/have any personal experience? If I were to be induced, what methods might be safer than others? 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Replies (41-49):
4kids4tara
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM

I had it with my twin pregnancy 11 years ago but not with my 1 year old. It caused horrible itching and you are right in agreeing to be induced. I know it is not what you wanted but sadly, your baby's health is at risk. On a side note, no one should EVER use castor oil!!!! It is very dangerous to the baby! There is a good chance the baby could pass meconium and inhale it. If castor oil makes the mom's bowels move, it does the baby's too!

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Update?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsquigley24
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I was given one dose of a cervical ripener Wednesday night around 9 pm. The midwives planned to give me a second dose around 1 am and then pitocin at 5:30 am, but by 1 it was clear that I was in labor on my own. My water broke at 5 ish, I spent several hours in a wonderful shower, pushed for an hour, and my son was born at 9:30 am Thursday. I am so happy that it took so little to push me into labor, because it makes me think that the my body and the baby were ready. I am also so glad that despite this diagnosis not being part of my "plan" I was still able to go completely pain med-free, and we still were able to do delayed cord clamping and immediate skin-to-skin. He is perfect!

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Quoting mrsquigley24:

I was given one dose of a cervical ripener Wednesday night around 9 pm. The midwives planned to give me a second dose around 1 am and then pitocin at 5:30 am, but by 1 it was clear that I was in labor on my own. My water broke at 5 ish, I spent several hours in a wonderful shower, pushed for an hour, and my son was born at 9:30 am Thursday. I am so happy that it took so little to push me into labor, because it makes me think that the my body and the baby were ready. I am also so glad that despite this diagnosis not being part of my "plan" I was still able to go completely pain med-free, and we still were able to do delayed cord clamping and immediate skin-to-skin. He is perfect!

Congrats on your new babe!  (And way to roll with the punches your diagnosis gave you!)

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

So glad to hear!  Congratulations!

Quoting mrsquigley24:

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This is correct.

SROM refers to spontaneous rupture of membranes, when water breaks on its own at term either at the onset of labor or during labor.

Quoting gamelas:

no!  PROM  is premature rupture of membranes, water breaks pre term and or without labor onset. AROM is Artificial rupture of membranes  as in someone broke it on purpose

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Cynthje:

cholestasis is one of the true reasons to induce :( 

I hope you dont have it mama but if you do induction is safest for you, ofcourse never allow Cytotec or AROM as a means of inudction even if you have it, try to find the mildest way of inducing in that case. Good luck and hang in there

I'm thinking you mean PROM  (premature rupture of membranes), right, as in "breaking  your water?"  AROM is "automatic rupture of membranes."

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

You were correct. The PP was referring to SROM (spontaneous rupture of membranes, at term).

Quoting Cynthje:

Ooops sorry my bad! I always used AROM for  artificial rupture of membranes 

JenniferM412
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I had cholestasis so if you have any questions email me

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I dont know what cholestasis is but do not use cervidil for an induction method.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)