Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Is this a terrible idea?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 7 Replies
My 1 yo (just turned one) is up all night. Usually 5-6 times between 11 and 6 am. He wakes to comfort nurse. He will not come into bed with me to cosleep or nurse while laying down. If I do not pick him up out of his crib immediately he starts screaming. I am exhausted.

I am considering moving his crib into the bedroom w our other children (5 and 3 yo). It is right across the hall from our bedroom. My worry is that the other kids will wake upbc of him or that he will be woken up by them. I figure I couldn't possibly be up anymore than I already am so what's the harm in trying.

Any advice and input is grately appreciated. Thank you!
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I personally don't move my kids into their siblings room until they consistently sleep well. I don't think it's fair to the other kids that they have to deal with extra night waking
Can you try putting a pnp in the living room or you sleep on the couch and let dad deal with the night waking?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
It might help. My kids all got to a stage where they couldn't sleep well in the same room as me. With youngest he was about 8-9 months when I had to quit putting him in my bed/room because of this.
It's certainly worth a try. I was super worried about my younger two sharing a room since my middle child was always a terrible sleeper. Well he slept right through the baby waking up 99% of the time.

Does he fall asleep in his own at all? If not, sometimes this up all night thing can be remedied by teaching him to fall asleep without nursing. As much as I abhor sleep training, there sometimes can be truth to their claim that the frequent night waking is just a result of habits and the kids don't know how to fall back asleep when they naturally stir because they only know how to fall asleep one way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoCoRI
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My ped actually suggested moving LO into her big sisters room instead of her own. Her thinking was that when LO woke up, big sister would just say "You're okay," and LO would know she's wasn't alone and wouldn't hear me and want to nurse. I didn't end up doing it because all the sudden LO was fine sleeping in her crib in her own room, but I was on board to try it!

Magnolia7
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Is he getting some more teeth in?  I remember sometime around 12 months where the waking increased and then dwindled down again.  I am hoping it's one of those phases for you

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM
My children, ages 4, 3, and 1, share a full size bed. My youngest comes into our bed every night/early morning but starts out with her brothers. It has worked really well for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Sounds like my one year old dd! I haven't put her in with her sisters yet. I don't want them all up at once.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

That's what I did... Some nights are bad, some are good.  But they are no more worse than before.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)