Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

No Poo... HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have been a no poo'er since last July. I use baking soda and apple cider vinegar 1 or 2 times a week.

My hair still gets pretty greasy after 2 or 3 days after "washing" it, I don't mind that so much, but my scalp is REALLY dry. The flakes on my head and in my hair are very visible. I have used coconut oil, and while my hair was flake free for a few days, my head looked like an oil slick (I had to wear hats to work!).

Am I doomed to return to shampoo? Do you ladies have any other suggestions for my insanely dry scalp?

Thanks!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
I've been no poo since November and I feel your pain!! I've been thinking about going back to shampoo because of it :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:12 PM

i used baking soda and APV to get through transition, then after swimming nearly ruined my hair i switched to doing twice a week conditioning and i use shampoo once every 10 days.  my hair is in MUCH better shape!  i use an organic shampoo and conditioner but i never use them on the same day.  i honestly dont think that no poo has as much to do with NOT using shampoo and conditioner as it does with using it infrequently and making sure they products you use are healthy.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Hard water? Add sea salt to your rinses.

Get a small spray bottle and fill it with equal parts water and acv, use that as a scalp spray between washes (add sea salt of you have hard water).

I'll tell you though, if you have hard water you may be doomed. No poo worked for me for a while and I slowly had to transition back to poo, first I did it every six weeks, but now I've had to transition back to full poo. The hard water just killed it for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Honestly I have the same problem with shampoo.  I know we have hard water, I'm thinking that might be the problem for me.  Do you have hard water also?

SoCoRI
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I don't know for sure if I have hard water, but I think I do because my cloth diapers often reek of amonia when peed in (even with proper washing).

Well, my husband will be pleased if I start to poo again! I guess that's a good thing :)

EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Oh I have hard water and never thought of that. I bet thats my problem too.

Quoting jellyphish:

Hard water? Add sea salt to your rinses.

Get a small spray bottle and fill it with equal parts water and acv, use that as a scalp spray between washes (add sea salt of you have hard water).

I'll tell you though, if you have hard water you may be doomed. No poo worked for me for a while and I slowly had to transition back to poo, first I did it every six weeks, but now I've had to transition back to full poo. The hard water just killed it for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I would give acv and water in a spray bottle a try.. :o)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

mysfro
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Hey there.  I am not a part of this forum, but I had similar problems at first with no poo, and thought I would share my experience.  I have now been without shampoo for over a year and a half now.  Here is what worked for me.

STOP with the baking soda.  (I tried this for a brief stint 2 years ago, but my hair got so incredibly awful--even after 4 months--that I quit for a long while before attempting no poo again.)  Instead, make a solution of 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water, and 20 drops of tea tree oil in a gallon jug.  The vinegar and tea tree oil will be your cleanser.  The baking soda is just drying out your scalp, and if your hair is greasy then it will stick to the strands just as much as the dandruff (and look almost identical).

Now, here's the key part. About an hour before bed, saturate your scalp with the vinegar/tea tree mixture. Ignore your hair strands.  You should only need about 1-2 cups if you apply a dab in multiple spots over your head.  If your hair is still damp before bed, you may opt to tie it in a knot at the top of your head.  This can help with the smell, but since you are putting a small amount (on the scalp, not the strands!), the smell should soften in about 15 min.  Don't rinse it out!  You will probably feel a tingle on your scalp, but don't worry about that.  It's okay to itch it, too.  In fact, if it feels good then scrub the heck out of your scalp, as I've never noticed anything bad from doing that and always felt pretty relieved, haha.

The following morning, take a shower.  Apply another cup or so of the mixture, then vigorously scrub your scalp under the water.  Since you complained of a build-up of dandruff, at this point you should take a fine comb and run it from the scalp to the tips of your hair.  Yes, this may possibly break a strand of two of your hair, but it will also help to strip off/even out the excess oil on your strands, and it will also get rid of the flakes that are hanging out around your scalp from before.

Just to clarify, your scalp and your hair are two very different beasts.  Based on the experience you shared, you should condition your scalp and give it a good scrubbing with your fingers about once a week.  All other times that you shower to wash your body, just massage your scalp and maybe run the fine comb through the first three inches by your scalp to remove dead skin.  If you do the vinegar rinse more than once or twice a week, your hair may be greasy.  Do not use baking soda.  Only condition and cleanse it once a week.  Trust me.  I know that we've been taught that our body oils are disgusting, but there is nothing coming off of your scalp that requires any more than a mild astringent.  (Vinegar is used in laundry, as well, in place of a liquid softener, and is a pretty widly used ingredient in homemade household cleaners.)

As for your actual hair, the only thing you should ever need to do to that is condition it with a little bit of oil (maybe mayo, but that gets complicated and smelly and gross--I recommend almond or jojoba oil or one that can be used as a skin moisturizer).  I also recommend only combing it once or twice a day with a wide-tooth comb outside of the shower, to prevent from activating your oil glands too much.  You may notice the strands lightening a little, much as if you had put lemon juice on it.  I think this is just because of the vinegar.

Good luck!  Hope this solution sounds good and works for you.

SoCoRI
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Thanks for your thoughtful reply! I will give it a try. :)

I did break down and used my DH's Head and Shoulders because my flakes were OUT OF CONTROL! This was this past Wednesday, it helped, and I haven't used anything on my hair since. My scalp does look better and my hair has not returned to it's pre-no poo oiliness, so I don't think I undid my 7 months of no poo'ing. I will get some tea tree oil ASAP!

Thanks again!

mysfro:

Hey there.  I am not a part of this forum, but I had similar problems at first with no poo, and thought I would share my experience.  I have now been without shampoo for over a year and a half now.  Here is what worked for me.

STOP with the baking soda.  (I tried this for a brief stint 2 years ago, but my hair got so incredibly awful--even after 4 months--that I quit for a long while before attempting no poo again.)  Instead, make a solution of 1/3 vinegar, 2/3 water, and 20 drops of tea tree oil in a gallon jug.  The vinegar and tea tree oil will be your cleanser.  The baking soda is just drying out your scalp, and if your hair is greasy then it will stick to the strands just as much as the dandruff (and look almost identical).

Now, here's the key part. About an hour before bed, saturate your scalp with the vinegar/tea tree mixture. Ignore your hair strands.  You should only need about 1-2 cups if you apply a dab in multiple spots over your head.  If your hair is still damp before bed, you may opt to tie it in a knot at the top of your head.  This can help with the smell, but since you are putting a small amount (on the scalp, not the strands!), the smell should soften in about 15 min.  Don't rinse it out!  You will probably feel a tingle on your scalp, but don't worry about that.  It's okay to itch it, too.  In fact, if it feels good then scrub the heck out of your scalp, as I've never noticed anything bad from doing that and always felt pretty relieved, haha.

The following morning, take a shower.  Apply another cup or so of the mixture, then vigorously scrub your scalp under the water.  Since you complained of a build-up of dandruff, at this point you should take a fine comb and run it from the scalp to the tips of your hair.  Yes, this may possibly break a strand of two of your hair, but it will also help to strip off/even out the excess oil on your strands, and it will also get rid of the flakes that are hanging out around your scalp from before.

Just to clarify, your scalp and your hair are two very different beasts.  Based on the experience you shared, you should condition your scalp and give it a good scrubbing with your fingers about once a week.  All other times that you shower to wash your body, just massage your scalp and maybe run the fine comb through the first three inches by your scalp to remove dead skin.  If you do the vinegar rinse more than once or twice a week, your hair may be greasy.  Do not use baking soda.  Only condition and cleanse it once a week.  Trust me.  I know that we've been taught that our body oils are disgusting, but there is nothing coming off of your scalp that requires any more than a mild astringent.  (Vinegar is used in laundry, as well, in place of a liquid softener, and is a pretty widly used ingredient in homemade household cleaners.)

As for your actual hair, the only thing you should ever need to do to that is condition it with a little bit of oil (maybe mayo, but that gets complicated and smelly and gross--I recommend almond or jojoba oil or one that can be used as a skin moisturizer).  I also recommend only combing it once or twice a day with a wide-tooth comb outside of the shower, to prevent from activating your oil glands too much.  You may notice the strands lightening a little, much as if you had put lemon juice on it.  I think this is just because of the vinegar.

SoCoRI
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

One quick question: should it be regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar?

Quoting mysfro:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN