Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Milk vs Toddler Formula?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 42 Replies
Now, I know that milk isn't necessary but here is my dilemma.

I would love to have breastfed past age 2. I believe breastmilk provides a lot of nutrition that can be lacking in the diet of a young toddler for whatever reason. Bridging the nutritional gap, so to speak. Since that was not an option, what do I do for a child who isn't eating well enough to provide proper nutrition?

Background info:

My daughter is 16 months old. I have had to supplement her, first with donor milk and then with formula, since she was a few weeks old. She had no interest in solids until 10 months and didn't even eat an entire meal until 13 months. I kept giving her formula until 14 months, when she seemed to be doing really well with her diet. Lately, due to teething, she just isn't eating much at all. I did start giving her a little milk (we drink some cow milk in our house) but at this point would toddler formula be a good option? Or is the milk going to cover her well enough nutritionally?

I have a coupon for Similac's toddler formula so that would be the brand that I would be buying, if I were to get her the formula.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM
My ped said that there's no reason to spend more on toddler formula and to switch to milk at 1 year. Then again she was ff because of my lack of ability to pump when trying to regulate my milk supply. I would assume that if your lo is older it would be ok for her too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I think i would make heal thy smoothies with veggies,fruit, and non dairy milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I would do the milk over the cost of toddler formula.

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I don't mind the cost...too much, lol. I can work it into or budget, just like I did the formula. So that isn't an issue.

Quoting Sarah725:

I would do the milk over the cost of toddler formula.

NDFanatik
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I wouldn't do the toddler milk simply because formula is filled with all kinds of junk.  So out of those two options, I would choose milk.  Do you have the option for goat milk?  It's more nutritionally sound and closer to human milk than cow's milk will ever be.  I also like the option JoJoBean above suggested- making healthy smoothies.  I kow my kids love juices and smoothies so that could be an easy way to add in nutrients. 

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM
She doesn't seem to like smoothies or else I would. The texture maybe? My oldest son also refuses to drink smoothies. Maybe if I made it smoother...

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I think i would make heal thy smoothies with veggies,fruit, and non dairy milk.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Lab created "food" is always at the bottom of my list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Unfortunately, no goat milk. I had a source awhile back but it, um, dried up. Literally, lol. I would prefer doing that.

I can get some powdered goat milk - would that be an ok option? She liked the goat milk when I was able to get it for her.

Quoting NDFanatik:

I wouldn't do the toddler milk simply because formula is filled with all kinds of junk.  So out of those two options, I would choose milk.  Do you have the option for goat milk?  It's more nutritionally sound and closer to human milk than cow's milk will ever be.  I also like the option JoJoBean above suggested- making healthy smoothies.  I kow my kids love juices and smoothies so that could be an easy way to add in nutrients. 

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
And ps, if you get animal milk, make sure you get full fat, otherwise he won't be getting any nutrition anyway. And try to get some calcium in there somewhere, milk extracts calcium from bones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Yes but she has had it for months anyway. No other good option for us really.

Quoting jellyphish:

Lab created "food" is always at the bottom of my list.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN