Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
I've decided that I don't want to spank my dd.
My Baby's daddy wants to..

We were both spanked as childeren and he thinks that the only way to get her to learn is by spanking, and I completely disagree. I am not okay with intentionally hitting your child under any circumstance. I feel like that breaks the trust I've tried so hard to establish...

Anyone have any links or information about the dangerous effects of spanking?
And other ways to get them to listen that work effectively?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Replies (51-53):
grousseau
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I did spank but maybe a total of five times. I only spanked on the bottom of my kids. I only did that as a last resort. I was a victom of child abuse and I was always afraid I would loose control. Thank God I never did. I was always very careful to count as I spanked. It got the message to my kids that Mommy was in charge and they needed to behave. I am very lucky that my kids are pretty well behaved ,bright and loving. My oldest is a seventeen year old and we are having some trouble with him mouthing off and his temper is driving us crazy. I put it down to horemones.I have not spanked him in years ,but it has been tempting . All I can say is so far so good.I believe an occasion well deserved spank is needed.I am sure that their will be many that disagree with me. We have not had any trouble with school, the poluce ,drugs, or alchohol, so I guess we have done okay with the kuds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lennox28
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I won't be spanking.  I'm still working on getting my husband on board, but I don't think that'll be too difficult.  I was only spanked 1 or 2 times as a kid that I can recall.  He was spanked more often from what I've heard.

randamda
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I think spanking is just fine, however I do not spank my son. He is an introvert to his core and I know, in his mind, it would be taken personal. We even try to only discipline him in private.
However, my niece is hell on wheels. Her mom spanks, and it works fine for them. I've even swatted her booty a time or two when time outs and lectures just made her laugh at me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)