Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Clomid

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi!  Its funny what you will post to an online community.  I am trying to get pregnant again.  I have PCOS and am 34.  I got pregnant with my first baby, who is just under one now, using clomid (I know-bad-).  Got pregnant on the second try.  This time I have tried 3 times again on clomid and I have not even ovulated.  I dont really want to take conventional drugs to help fertility, but I dont know what natural remedies are MOST effective.  I eat pretty well.  Juice every morning, workout by doing cross fit and yoga.  I am fit and not overweight.  

My chiropractor recommeded a "Standard Process" natural vitamin regimine, but he could not speak to effectiveness.  Hes cited one lady in his office that took the therapy and got pregnant.  Kind of frustrating, I am looking for studies or cases that are like mine.  Can someone help me ror share their stories, please!  

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:32 AM

okay so i took standard process suppliments but you HAVE to go to someone who knows what the hell they are talking about.  i also had low progesterone which affected my luteal phase and this is what i did to get pregnant and stay pregnant.

first i found a naturopath who specialized in hormone imbalances and fertility treatments.  she also was an accuncturist but had her doctorate in oriental medicine.  a regular chiropractor DOES NOT have the nutritional backround to know how to prescribe the herbal suppliments and bio-indentical hormone replacement like someone who has a doctorate in oriental medicine.  they are two totally different doctorates.

then once i found her i did a 45 day saliva panel.  each day at the same time i would suck on this little tube of spungy stuff and let it fill up with my saliva.  then i would freeze it.  at the end of the 45 days i sent it overnight to a lab to get processed.

AFTER i got those results back (which will be totally different than a blood panel because they show they daily variances instead of a one shot look) my naturopath looked at them, pinpointed what exactly my hormone issues were and put me on a herbal regiman.  i took apple pectin to leech the excess estrogen out of my body aa well as a bio-identical progesterone subligually for a specific period of time to stimulate ovultion. i also took some herbal suppliments to increase my adrenals glandular health since they directly impact thyroid which is what regulates your sex hormones.

i also got needled to stimulate ovulation (which worked wonderfully) and followed her chart for when i should be having sex.

i continued to take my progesterone per her instructions.

this regiment resulted in two pregnancies that i was able to carry to term.

i personally loved the entire experience and it was so different than what any other medical professional could offer me.

i would just make sure that you go to someone who really knows what they are doing.  not all herbal treatments are safe and affective and your dr should absolutely be able to tell you the specific reactions and thing to expect.  i take it as a huge red flag that your chiro cannot speak to their effectivness.  thsi tells me he is probably just pushing this line of products in order to generate income.  my naturopath only ever charged me a $1 more than what standard process offered on their website since she had to pay for shipping.  do your research and find a qaulified provider who specializes in natural fertility and bi-identical hormone replacement therapy.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Are you still breastfeeding the baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephanieannmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM

WOW!  Such great information! THANK YOU!!!! NOW, to find such a person where I live...the research begins! I will update 

Quoting tansyflower:

okay so i took standard process suppliments but you HAVE to go to someone who knows what the hell they are talking about.  i also had low progesterone which affected my luteal phase and this is what i did to get pregnant and stay pregnant.

first i found a naturopath who specialized in hormone imbalances and fertility treatments.  she also was an accuncturist but had her doctorate in oriental medicine.  a regular chiropractor DOES NOT have the nutritional backround to know how to prescribe the herbal suppliments and bio-indentical hormone replacement like someone who has a doctorate in oriental medicine.  they are two totally different doctorates.

then once i found her i did a 45 day saliva panel.  each day at the same time i would suck on this little tube of spungy stuff and let it fill up with my saliva.  then i would freeze it.  at the end of the 45 days i sent it overnight to a lab to get processed.

AFTER i got those results back (which will be totally different than a blood panel because they show they daily variances instead of a one shot look) my naturopath looked at them, pinpointed what exactly my hormone issues were and put me on a herbal regiman.  i took apple pectin to leech the excess estrogen out of my body aa well as a bio-identical progesterone subligually for a specific period of time to stimulate ovultion. i also took some herbal suppliments to increase my adrenals glandular health since they directly impact thyroid which is what regulates your sex hormones.

i also got needled to stimulate ovulation (which worked wonderfully) and followed her chart for when i should be having sex.

i personally loved the entire experience and it was so different than what any other medical professional could offer me.

i would just make sure that you go to someone who really knows what they are doing.  not all herbal treatments are safe and affective and your dr should absolutely be able to tell you the specific reactions and thing to expect.  i take it as a huge red flag that your chiro cannot speak to their effectivness.  thsi tells me he is probably just pushing this line of products in order to generate income.  my naturopath only ever charged me a $1 more than what standard process offered on their website since she had to pay for shipping.  do your research and find a qaulified provider who specializes in natural fertility and bi-identical hormone replacement therapy.

stephanieannmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

no.  I stopped because of the clomid

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you can get pregnant soon.  I know how fustrating that can be.  I'm trying to carry a baby for a couple right now, going threw my 3rd round of ivf.

stephanieannmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Hi!  Me again!  I have scheduled an appointment with a naturopath.  Here is the link to her website, let me know what you think!  http://bloomintegrativehealth.com/raleigh-acupuncturist-naturopathic-doctor-meaghan-dishman-nd-lac/

Also, I researched the saliva test and found a  website that sells them for at home test and send in for reading.  http://salivatesting.com/hormone_health_products/. Did your dr. sell you this or did you buy online.  It seems pretty standard?  

Word back from my regular OBGYN as of today. accorind to my blood tests my progestoerone level was. .05 at day 21 of cycle.  She tested me again at day 24 becasue she says i could have ovulated late, which would affect the levels. Her next recommeded is to try some other drug, not clomid, but in the same class. UGH ..Going to see new dr. in march

Quoting tansyflower:

tansyflower
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

first off she sound PERFECT!  second i would hold off on purchasing ant tests...only because she will want you to do specific ones, but they all are pretty much made and processed from the same company.  she will be able to tell you if you need an adrenal panel done as well as a sex hormone panel.

asfor what your dr is saying about your hormone levels blood samples ans saliva panels give very different results.  a blood sample only tests for hormones entering the blood cell.  a saliva panel tests your complete hormone level and is much more affective.  essentially she will be able to chart your estrogen and progesterone levels ever single day and will create a graph.  she will be able to tell if you are ovulating, when you are ovulating, how long your luteal phase is and what the hormone levels are at specific times that would influence ovulation.  this is all much different than a regular dr who just orders a blood draw and looks at one number.

if it were me i would book the appt with the naturopath and see what she says and recommends before starting any other type of synthetic hormone replacement therapy as it will further screw your results if you choose to do a saliva panle.

does that make sense?  anymore questions?

Quoting stephanieannmom:

Hi!  Me again!  I have scheduled an appointment with a naturopath.  Here is the link to her website, let me know what you think!  http://bloomintegrativehealth.com/raleigh-acupuncturist-naturopathic-doctor-meaghan-dishman-nd-lac/

Also, I researched the saliva test and found a  website that sells them for at home test and send in for reading.  http://salivatesting.com/hormone_health_products/. Did your dr. sell you this or did you buy online.  It seems pretty standard?  

Word back from my regular OBGYN as of today. accorind to my blood tests my progestoerone level was. .05 at day 21 of cycle.  She tested me again at day 24 becasue she says i could have ovulated late, which would affect the levels. Her next recommeded is to try some other drug, not clomid, but in the same class. UGH ..Going to see new dr. in march

Quoting tansyflower:

stephanieannmom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM

YES!  It makes sense and you have been so helpful!  I also found a great website for PCOS diet.  I will keep you posted!  Thank yo so very much!  Of course, I am going to hold off on the drugs!  I was really frustrated by my Dr. yesterday.  I just changed physicians because we moved.  I just dont really feel good about her understanding me.  She is super nice, but I am looking forward to my new Dr.  By the way, how much should I expect to spend on all of this?  She charges $200 for her first appointment.  I am sure there will be labs and acupuncture recommeded...

Quoting stephanieannmom:

Quoting tansyflower:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally dont think clomid is BAD, I think if our bodies are out of whack for some reason medically sometimes they need help, like a diabetic and insulin.

Have you tried vitex? Sometimes that helps regulate cycles and can help

tansyflower
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

not counting my first appt i spent around 800-1000 bucks on tests/supplements/progesterone/accunpture.  but that was in my area in wisconsin and people charge more depending on the area.  but with my second pregnancy i only spent about 200 total because i had already had all the testing done and only came in once to needle for ovulation.

compared to what a lot of people pay out of pocket for fertility treatments i felt like it was very reasonable.

Quoting stephanieannmom:

YES!  It makes sense and you have been so helpful!  I also found a great website for PCOS diet.  I will keep you posted!  Thank yo so very much!  Of course, I am going to hold off on the drugs!  I was really frustrated by my Dr. yesterday.  I just changed physicians because we moved.  I just dont really feel good about her understanding me.  She is super nice, but I am looking forward to my new Dr.  By the way, how much should I expect to spend on all of this?  She charges $200 for her first appointment.  I am sure there will be labs and acupuncture recommeded...

Quoting stephanieannmom:

Quoting tansyflower:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)