Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

baby fever help, piog UPDATE

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:51 AM
  • 20 Replies
Its 100.6 under arm. I know thats not HIGH but its her first time being sick & I feel horrible. When do you guys usually start meds for your youngsters??

Edit
Its an ear infection

3/4
its starting all over. Fever, puking, cranky, extra cuddles, pour sleeping. I think its another ear infection. I also think her second tooth is coming (first cut at the same time as the last infection)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

i give Motrin or Tylenol only symptomatically, not for fever alone. In other words, if my daughter is feverish but she's acting fine, i just make sure to keep her hydrated and keep my eye on it.  If she's miserable, complaining that something hurts or visibly in pain, i will medicate her.  And i don't just dose her every 4-6 hours...i let the meds wear off to see what we're dealing with :)

EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Shes coughing, stuffy/running nose, teething, kinda out of it off and on, and has thrown up. Shes 6mthd old. I gave her Tylenol in the middle of the night and threw it up a little later.

Quoting Amycapl:

i give Motrin or Tylenol only symptomatically, not for fever alone. In other words, if my daughter is feverish but she's acting fine, i just make sure to keep her hydrated and keep my eye on it.  If she's miserable, complaining that something hurts or visibly in pain, i will medicate her.  And i don't just dose her every 4-6 hours...i let the meds wear off to see what we're dealing with :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM

saline for runny stuffy nose also humidifier if you've got one.  if she's throwing up, no medicine is gonna help :(  are you breastfeeding?  if so, nurse nurse nurse!! it's the best defense!!

EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds about right :)
I kept the humidifier in our room all night and shes getting as much milkies as shell take.

I had given her the meds before she threw up but since the fevers been down to 99 something, I haven't given her anymore.

Thank you for your help.

Quoting Amycapl:

saline for runny stuffy nose also humidifier if you've got one.  if she's throwing up, no medicine is gonna help :(  are you breastfeeding?  if so, nurse nurse nurse!! it's the best defense!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
The number is meaningless, plus fevers have a job to do, medicating them prevents them from doing it as effectively.

I only medicate a fever if if they are listless or at bedtime if it's making them uncomfortable and preventing sleep from happening. Otherwise I leave it alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
This is us.
We dont even own a working thermometer

Quoting larissalarie:

The number is meaningless, plus fevers have a job to do, medicating them prevents them from doing it as effectively.

I only medicate a fever if if they are listless or at bedtime if it's making them uncomfortable and preventing sleep from happening. Otherwise I leave it alone.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I don't think I even have a working thermometer, lol. Fevers have a job to do, just give lots of cuddles and if you are bfing then nurse ,nurse,nurse!

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I usually try non parmaceutical approaches first.
If a cool bath doesnt help it go down then ill try meds
armyvet06
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM
My dd is rarely sick. But when she gets a fever i give her tylenol every 4 hours and give her plenty of liquids and crackers to help soak up whatever acid she may have in her tummy. And also i give her a cool bath.
EslingerCrew11
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)