Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

pregnantal care

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM
  • 30 Replies
Im 19 weeks pregnant. I havent been taking any pregnantal vitamin. Could this have any effect on the development of unborn child. I eat right and keep myself health.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM

If you're eating the right things to replace what you'd get from it, I'm sure it'd be fine. Is there a reason you aren't taking them though?

Kenmommy531
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Well the reason I'm not yet been take them. Is because I don't have insurance and not see a doctor yet. Is not that I'm not care about walfere of child .just the lock of get the money. But I Will be seen a doctor sometime next week.
BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Here is my opinion...  If you are truly eating a well-balanced diet and making sure you're eating plenty of whole foods that contain iron, calcium, folic acid, and omega-3's, a prenatal vitamin is redundant.  Vitamins are inferior to whole foods.  The quality of vitamins and nutrients you get from eating will be greater than that of a pill.  If you are lacking in any vitamin intake though, chances are the baby is still pulling those nutrients from you.  Your body will be the one deprived of that vitamin/nutrient, so it is not a terrible idea to supplement (even if not on a daily basis).  I'm guilty of only taking prenatals every 2-4 days.  I've always had healthy babies.

Kenmommy531
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Well the reason I'm not take them is because don't have insurance or seen doc yet. And is difficult collect money. But I Will sometime next week. It wasn't like I didn't care.I care

Quoting VintageWife:

If you're eating the right things to replace what you'd get from it, I'm sure it'd be fine. Is there a reason you aren't taking them though?

sjenkins8208
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're eating well then great. But if you're worried, you can pick up OTC prenatals for $5.
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Agreed 

Quoting sjenkins8208:

If you're eating well then great. But if you're worried, you can pick up OTC prenatals for $5.

Kenmommy531
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Ok.great.thank u lady's
VintageWife
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a Meijer store near you? They have them as part of their free prescriptions. I don't know if Walmart has them for free, but they sell them cheap.

Here's my problem with you being able to get it through a well-balanced diet. If you can't afford the prenatals, I'm assuming you don't have the money to eat completely properly as well. I'm not even meaning that in a bad way. We don't have a lot of money either. I take the prenatals because I know I don't eat a balanced enough diet to make up for not taking them.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Not to be rude, but how can you afford to eat a diet good enough to not need prenatals yet you can't afford the $4 for a bottle of generic vitamins from the store?

If you are truly getting all the nutrients that you and baby need from your diet, then not taking vitamins won't harm your unborn baby. However if you aren't getting what's needed then yes it could have hurt the baby's development. Did you research what basic nutrients are required by a pregnant woman daily and in what quantities so you could select foods that have those nutrients and get those minimum amounts? If so, then you're set!

Me personally, I eat a healthy diet, but I don't want to do that much work especially in the beginning when I tend to lose weight because I'm not eating much of anything. So I buy the vitamins and take them for "insurance" I've actually never thought to get a prescription from a doctor for vitamins, that's even possible?

Best wishes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I don't usually take vitamins if I'm eating healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)