Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting
Im 19 weeks pregnant. I havent been taking any pregnantal vitamin. Could this have any effect on the development of unborn child. I eat right and keep myself health.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM

If your diet meets the needs of a pregnant mother and you are otherwise healthy, prenatal vitamins are not needed. My diet is sufficient, but I take prenatals because I have health issues that make me require supplementation.  

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I do not think Larissa was rude at any point....

Quoting larissalarie: I didn't entirely understand what you just wrote, but I did answer that question. I'll say it again for you though: if you are truly getting what you need through diet then you won't have any issues, if you aren't then it could cause problem. Asking how you can afford food but not vitamins is hardly rude, if you think that's rude CM is gonna be a rough place for you! If you get food stamps, then you obviously qualify for medicaid, why are you not getting prenatal care?
Quoting Kenmommy531: First able I get food stamp. Second able I stay the he'll way from business. I was just ask regardless I'm get a proper nutritious . And not have vitamins . Could effect child that all. I didn't ask you whether to be rude or not.
Quoting larissalarie: Not to be rude, but how can you afford to eat a diet good enough to not need prenatals yet you can't afford the $4 for a bottle of generic vitamins from the store? If you are truly getting all the nutrients that you and baby need from your diet, then not taking vitamins won't harm your unborn baby. However if you aren't getting what's needed then yes it could have hurt the baby's development. Did you research what basic nutrients are required by a pregnant woman daily and in what quantities so you could select foods that have those nutrients and get those minimum amounts? If so, then you're set! Me personally, I eat a healthy diet, but I don't want to do that much work especially in the beginning when I tend to lose weight because I'm not eating much of anything. So I buy the vitamins and take them for "insurance" I've actually never thought to get a prescription from a doctor for vitamins, that's even possible? Best wishes!

BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I didn't think you intended to come off as rude either, but this is kind of a sensitive topic to her.  I've been on medicaid during a pregnancy.  It took until I was 13 wks for mine to be approved.  Medicaid can be extremely frustrating to deal with, and maybe she doesn't want to go through the "system" for anymore aid.  That's understandable as I've been there, done that, and it was hard on me. 

And while I think that some prenatal care is good, there is not much they do anyway that is going to prevent any kind of problem in the beginning.  If she feels comfortable and is taking care of herself and monitoring how she feels, then there's little to worry about IMO.  By 19 wks, the only thing dr's would have done is check to see if baby has a heartbeat (which obviously it does, since she's still pregnant), and offer the usual tests and ultrasounds which are completely unnecessary.  Prenatal care CAN detect problems, but it's not going to MAKE your baby healthy.  I do think OP should look into some kind of prenatal care at some point that way she has an established relationship with OB or CNM in her area if there are problems down the road, and/or for the birth if she's having it in a hospital. 

Quoting larissalarie:

I didn't entirely understand what you just wrote, but I did answer that question. I'll say it again for you though: if you are truly getting what you need through diet then you won't have any issues, if you aren't then it could cause problem.

Asking how you can afford food but not vitamins is hardly rude, if you think that's rude CM is gonna be a rough place for you!

If you get food stamps, then you obviously qualify for medicaid, why are you not getting prenatal care?
Quoting Kenmommy531:

First able . I get food stamp. Second able I stay the he'll way from business. I was just ask regardless I'm get a proper nutritious . And not have vitamins . Could effect child that all. I didn't ask you whether to be rude or not.

Quoting larissalarie:

Not to be rude, but how can you afford to eat a diet good enough to not need prenatals yet you can't afford the $4 for a bottle of generic vitamins from the store?

If you are truly getting all the nutrients that you and baby need from your diet, then not taking vitamins won't harm your unborn baby. However if you aren't getting what's needed then yes it could have hurt the baby's development. Did you research what basic nutrients are required by a pregnant woman daily and in what quantities so you could select foods that have those nutrients and get those minimum amounts? If so, then you're set!

Me personally, I eat a healthy diet, but I don't want to do that much work especially in the beginning when I tend to lose weight because I'm not eating much of anything. So I buy the vitamins and take them for "insurance" I've actually never thought to get a prescription from a doctor for vitamins, that's even possible?

Best wishes!

larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My orginal response (the one that inspired the "rude" comment) said nothing about medicaid or getting prenatal care, but thanks anyway. She obviously just wants something to be offended about.

(and I'm well aware of what prenatal care can and cannot do, thanks again)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I didn't think you intended to come off as rude either, but this is kind of a sensitive topic to her.  I've been on medicaid during a pregnancy.  It took until I was 13 wks for mine to be approved.  Medicaid can be extremely frustrating to deal with, and maybe she doesn't want to go through the "system" for anymore aid.  That's understandable as I've been there, done that, and it was hard on me. 

And while I think that some prenatal care is good, there is not much they do anyway that is going to prevent any kind of problem in the beginning.  If she feels comfortable and is taking care of herself and monitoring how she feels, then there's little to worry about IMO.  By 19 wks, the only thing dr's would have done is check to see if baby has a heartbeat (which obviously it does, since she's still pregnant), and offer the usual tests and ultrasounds which are completely unnecessary.  Prenatal care CAN detect problems, but it's not going to MAKE your baby healthy.  I do think OP should look into some kind of prenatal care at some point that way she has an established relationship with OB or CNM in her area if there are problems down the road, and/or for the birth if she's having it in a hospital. 

Quoting larissalarie:

I didn't entirely understand what you just wrote, but I did answer that question. I'll say it again for you though: if you are truly getting what you need through diet then you won't have any issues, if you aren't then it could cause problem.

Asking how you can afford food but not vitamins is hardly rude, if you think that's rude CM is gonna be a rough place for you!

If you get food stamps, then you obviously qualify for medicaid, why are you not getting prenatal care?
Quoting Kenmommy531:

First able . I get food stamp. Second able I stay the he'll way from business. I was just ask regardless I'm get a proper nutritious . And not have vitamins . Could effect child that all. I didn't ask you whether to be rude or not.

Quoting larissalarie:

Not to be rude, but how can you afford to eat a diet good enough to not need prenatals yet you can't afford the $4 for a bottle of generic vitamins from the store?

If you are truly getting all the nutrients that you and baby need from your diet, then not taking vitamins won't harm your unborn baby. However if you aren't getting what's needed then yes it could have hurt the baby's development. Did you research what basic nutrients are required by a pregnant woman daily and in what quantities so you could select foods that have those nutrients and get those minimum amounts? If so, then you're set!

Me personally, I eat a healthy diet, but I don't want to do that much work especially in the beginning when I tend to lose weight because I'm not eating much of anything. So I buy the vitamins and take them for "insurance" I've actually never thought to get a prescription from a doctor for vitamins, that's even possible?

Best wishes!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Thank-you :-)

Quoting catholicmamamia:

I do not think Larissa was rude at any point....

Quoting larissalarie: I didn't entirely understand what you just wrote, but I did answer that question. I'll say it again for you though: if you are truly getting what you need through diet then you won't have any issues, if you aren't then it could cause problem. Asking how you can afford food but not vitamins is hardly rude, if you think that's rude CM is gonna be a rough place for you! If you get food stamps, then you obviously qualify for medicaid, why are you not getting prenatal care?
Quoting Kenmommy531: First able I get food stamp. Second able I stay the he'll way from business. I was just ask regardless I'm get a proper nutritious . And not have vitamins . Could effect child that all. I didn't ask you whether to be rude or not.

Quoting larissalarie: Not to be rude, but how can you afford to eat a diet good enough to not need prenatals yet you can't afford the $4 for a bottle of generic vitamins from the store? If you are truly getting all the nutrients that you and baby need from your diet, then not taking vitamins won't harm your unborn baby. However if you aren't getting what's needed then yes it could have hurt the baby's development. Did you research what basic nutrients are required by a pregnant woman daily and in what quantities so you could select foods that have those nutrients and get those minimum amounts? If so, then you're set! Me personally, I eat a healthy diet, but I don't want to do that much work especially in the beginning when I tend to lose weight because I'm not eating much of anything. So I buy the vitamins and take them for "insurance" I've actually never thought to get a prescription from a doctor for vitamins, that's even possible? Best wishes!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I really think some of it is a language barrier...

Quoting larissalarie:

My orginal response (the one that inspired the "rude" comment) said nothing about medicaid or getting prenatal care, but thanks anyway. She obviously just wants something to be offended about.

(and I'm well aware of what prenatal care can and cannot do, thanks again)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting Kenmommy531:

Quoting larissalarie:

Best wishes!

LuvAZmomma
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Prenatal vitamins are like $5 at the store. You really need to get come prenatal care though. Maybe you can apply for state assistance.
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM
You can buy them at Walmart for $10, no need to see a doctor or have insurance to get it.

Quoting Kenmommy531:

Well the reason I'm not take them is because don't have insurance or seen doc yet. And is difficult collect money. But I Will sometime next week. It wasn't like I didn't care.I care

Quoting VintageWife:

If you're eating the right things to replace what you'd get from it, I'm sure it'd be fine. Is there a reason you aren't taking them though?

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You're welcome!

Quoting larissalarie: Thank-you :-)
Quoting catholicmamamia: I do not think Larissa was rude at any point....
Quoting larissalarie
Quoting Kenmommy531

1stTimeMom1982
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I agree

Quoting larissalarie:

Best wishes!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)