Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Question about making your own lotion...

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 6 Replies
I was in the store today and got completely overwhelmed by the types of oils that you can use for lotion. I found grapeseed oil, sweet almond oil, and rose hip oil. They all pretty much said the same thing about nourishing the skin, but is one better than the others? How are they different from each other?
Thank you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM
First, if youre not already, shop for these oils in the food section. They are cheaper and better quality there.

All nut and veg oils are nourishing to the skin, so it doesn't matter too much. Some are thicker than others, some have a stronger smell. Jojoba oil (which is not in the food section at all) is my go-to because it matches the skin the best and it's a natural preservative. But it's expensive. So I usually use it along with avocado or almond or safflower oil.

If you decide to get grapeseed, just make sure it says "cold pressed" on it, otherwise you could be getting one that is extracted chemically.

Happy mixing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM
I've just started learning about expeller and cold pressed oils. I swear, I must have been living under a rock for years to not that there was a difference between expeller/cold pressed vs chemical extraction.
I'll start looking for jojoba oil. I found organic Shea butter yesterday :)

Quoting jellyphish:

First, if youre not already, shop for these oils in the food section. They are cheaper and better quality there.

All nut and veg oils are nourishing to the skin, so it doesn't matter too much. Some are thicker than others, some have a stronger smell. Jojoba oil (which is not in the food section at all) is my go-to because it matches the skin the best and it's a natural preservative. But it's expensive. So I usually use it along with avocado or almond or safflower oil.

If you decide to get grapeseed, just make sure it says "cold pressed" on it, otherwise you could be getting one that is extracted chemically.

Happy mixing!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

you are so smart!

Quoting jellyphish:

Happy mixing!

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

mountainroseherbs.com is a great place to buy these oils and butters. The quality is great and the price is better than I've seen anywhere else. They also have a lot of information about each kind of oil - it really depends what skin issues you're dealing with.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll look into that website.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

mountainroseherbs.com is a great place to buy these oils and butters. The quality is great and the price is better than I've seen anywhere else. They also have a lot of information about each kind of oil - it really depends what skin issues you're dealing with.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Thank you for this great info! 

Quoting jellyphish: First, if youre not already, shop for these oils in the food section. They are cheaper and better quality there. All nut and veg oils are nourishing to the skin, so it doesn't matter too much. Some are thicker than others, some have a stronger smell. Jojoba oil (which is not in the food section at all) is my go-to because it matches the skin the best and it's a natural preservative. But it's expensive. So I usually use it along with avocado or almond or safflower oil. If you decide to get grapeseed, just make sure it says "cold pressed" on it, otherwise you could be getting one that is extracted chemically. Happy mixing!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN