Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Breastfeeding help please

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have a 19 month old who has suddenly developed a problem with his latch. He's not biting down on purpose but somehow he keeps getting my nipples with his teeth. At first I thought it was a fluke and just used lots of lanolin and gritted my teeth waiting for them to heal but then it got worse and now I have huge, painful gashes on each side. I've tried to get him to say "ahhh" and open his mouth wide before letting him latch and using my fingers to prevent him from clamping down prematurely but that just makes him more desperate and seems to have made things worse. Nursing is excruciating and pumping isn't much better. I bleed every time. I'd planned on nursing him until he was 2 (or until he'd self-weaned) but I think I might need to be done now. I feel terrible because he is starting to get sick and wants to nurse for comfort but I really don't think I can go on like this. Any suggestions/advice?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytotwonow
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

unlatch him every time until he does it right. talk to your dr and get a scrip for the gashes, been there, there is stuff that can help. i wish i had more advice for you. there is a great breastfeeding group here have you asked them?

I'm a nursing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, baby wearing mommy of two beautiful boys!

jessica1219
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Are you pregnant?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumbellina
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Nope, definitely not pregnant.

mumbellina
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I forgot there was a seperate breastfeeding group. I may try there too. Thanks.

Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

At 19 months, he is old enough to understand that he is hurting you.  Every time he latches wrong, take him off.  Tell him that he can't have mama milk until he does it right.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I found my sons issue was getting molars..it threw off his latch big time..unlatching and relatching helped

Umm_Nourudeen
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I had nursing issues with my son too but fortunately still made it to 2yrs :)  When he latches wrong just break the latch and teach him.  Try nursing BEFORE he gets too hungry, otherwise they're just to worked up and impatient to do things slowly and the right way.

Some other things that helped me were a nipple shield and newman's nipple cream.  They were Godsends!!  Use the shield until you've healed up some.  It protects you and helps your LO to latch on better.  My nipples split and turned black and bled every time my LO nursed.  I nearly screamed each time and just cried.  The shield allowed me to heal, still nurse, and helped with the latch problem  Once that was done we didn't need to use it anymore :)

The newman's cream you can get by prescription.  It has a nice pain reliever in it that's perfectly safe.  Other things you can try are putting some tea bags in hot water briefly to activate the herbs and then place them on your nipples.  I believe they recommend liptons lemon tea.  Also express a little of your milk and rub it into your nipples.  It's a natural antibiotic which will prevent infection and also helps with healing and pain relief.

Hope that helps and good luck!!

VintageWife
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Unlatch him everytime and say "don't bite, that hurts mommy!" If he does it again, I'd unlatch him once more and hold off a little longer each time before relatching.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Bump
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Quoting mumbellina:

I forgot there was a seperate breastfeeding group. I may try there too. Thanks.

thats a good idea.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN