Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have a 19 month old who has suddenly developed a problem with his latch. He's not biting down on purpose but somehow he keeps getting my nipples with his teeth. At first I thought it was a fluke and just used lots of lanolin and gritted my teeth waiting for them to heal but then it got worse and now I have huge, painful gashes on each side. I've tried to get him to say "ahhh" and open his mouth wide before letting him latch and using my fingers to prevent him from clamping down prematurely but that just makes him more desperate and seems to have made things worse. Nursing is excruciating and pumping isn't much better. I bleed every time. I'd planned on nursing him until he was 2 (or until he'd self-weaned) but I think I might need to be done now. I feel terrible because he is starting to get sick and wants to nurse for comfort but I really don't think I can go on like this. Any suggestions/advice?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-12):
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Theres an article on kellymom. About older kids and scraping. Thats the problem I had with dd when her teeth were bothering me
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Ds has a horrible latch right now but it's only on one side. It is from teething and his size. When he lays on my lap his latch is off and I think it's from his size because we don't have that problem when we lay down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)