Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cosleep vs Bedshare

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 18 Replies
My youngest DD is almost 6mo and EBF. After growing out of her bassinet she decided that sleeping anywhere except attached to me was unacceptable. I'm not opposed to it as long as its safe. She sleeps in my bed with me and my husband sadly is now on the couch. I'm just curious about a couple of things.

-Is bed sharing considered as safe as cosleeping using a cosleeper bed or side carred crib?

-I'm concerned about rolling. She's already trying to crawl. There's no leaving her on the bed alone I presume, even with the pillow barriers on the sides, correct?

Anything else I should know? Tips, advice? I feel like a dork being so naive on the subject since she's my third baby, but my other two had no issues transitioning from basiset to crib. This little stinker is a total Mommy's girl though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I would not use pillows on the sides as your barriers. Get yourself a bedrail for your side of the bed. I have he Summer's Infant extra long hide-a-way rail. It drops down and slides under the mattress, which makes changing the sheets way easier. Look up bedsharing guidelines on sites like Dr. Sears and kellymom. It can be very safely done. :)
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Thanks. Do you remember how much the rail was? I would have to get one for each side since she lays in the middle and I flip flop sides a few times during the night to keep feedings as even as possible.

Quoting TTC2Long:

I would not use pillows on the sides as your barriers. Get yourself a bedrail for your side of the bed. I have he Summer's Infant extra long hide-a-way rail. It drops down and slides under the mattress, which makes changing the sheets way easier. Look up bedsharing guidelines on sites like Dr. Sears and kellymom. It can be very safely done. :)
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM
$25-30 I think? We have a king. So ds never came close to going off dh's side and I switch sides with every feeding. I don't know how it would be in a queen.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Thanks. Do you remember how much the rail was? I would have to get one for each side since she lays in the middle and I flip flop sides a few times during the night to keep feedings as even as possible.

Quoting TTC2Long:

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Okay, I do have a queen. I don't trust hubby in bed with her quite yet. He's a very sound sleeper. So it's just baby and I for now.

Quoting TTC2Long:

$25-30 I think? We have a king. So ds never came close to going off dh's side and I switch sides with every feeding. I don't know how it would be in a queen.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting TTC2Long:

TTC2Long
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:56 AM
We slept in a queen in a hotel a few months ago and I didn't have a bedrail, so I kept ds in the middle. We were fine and, when dh got up early to go for a run, we had plenty of room with ds center and me on the side.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Okay, I do have a queen. I don't trust hubby in bed with her quite yet. He's a very sound sleeper. So it's just baby and I for now.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

Quoting TTC2Long:

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM
2 moms liked this

When done properly both are equally safe and in most cases bedsharing being safer, IMO. Safe bedsharing tips can be found HERE   :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

peaches_04
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:54 AM
2 moms liked this
We just got rid of the frame and sleep with the mattress on the floor
peaches_04
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM
I personally think bed sharing is safer
When my kids sleep with me i become intune with their every move. I can feel when they move or if their breathing changes
If a baby rolls into something, gets stuck or stops breathing while in a crib how could you tell/know to help them
soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM
This is what we did as well.

Quoting peaches_04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Oh I like this idea better than rails. My husband would be MUCH easier to get on board with it too. So if I put the mattress on the floor and baby-proofed my bedroom, I could safely nurse her to sleep then leave the room? I like to catch up on my shows and do the household chores after the kids go to bed at night. I have been missing this time a lot since she stopped sleeping on her own!

Quoting soulofsunmama:

This is what we did as well.

Quoting peaches_04:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN