Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Head lice ... 3rd time

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
Dd got lice from school. My first time with lice. Usually I'm all about the natural way but I'm not gonna lie, I freaked and got the stuff at the store. I wasnt messing around.
I treated once. It says no need to treat a second time. So I scrubbed the house down. Treated her and myself. My2 year old was clean. Combed through her hair and picked out all the nasties.
A week later... More lice. Went through the whole house. Treated again. I didn't have them, never did so I skipped myself this time.
A week later... More lice. The rest of us are still clear. Im not using that stuff again. Twice was bad enough! and they aren't gone.
What do I do now? Where do I go from here?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bcampos87
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Mayo and vinagar.. Put mayo on her hair for 4 hours with a bag wrapped around it, rinse then use vinagar. We also found this spray stuff at walmart (http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=A72FDD8C31DC34F7BC92D165421122A9#ip/Licefree-Spray-Instant-Non-Toxic-Head-Lice-Treatment-6-oz/17325254) which worked well. And now we use a shampoo with tea tree oil, because supposedby they don't like it. Good luck :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Whatever you do, you NEED to treat the entire family every time until it's gone.
I've read coconut oil can be used, but we haven't had lice to need to test that out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

No idea, sorry.. hopefully someone else will know, so here is a BUMP! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

nikzup03
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM

i fear this! a letter came home it was found on a student in DD1's class. i've never dealt with it, but i read adding some tree tea oil in your hair wash will keep them away, they don't like that smell. good luck!

CafeMom Tickers
tansyflower
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM

my mom had this issue and treated it with coconut oil infused with essential oils.  she used ALL sorts of EO like tea tree, lavender, some sort of evergreen and it smelled horrible.  but after MONTHS of fighting with lice it was the only thing that worked! 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I have heard tto

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM

FairyTales! You can buy it at Babies R Us or at Salons. It is designed to repell lice. I use the shampoo on my son now that he is going to school.  I may be able to shave his and dh's heads, but I am not buzzing mine or dd's.  NuUh

Magnolia7
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Stuff from the store does not work.  The lice have become resistant to it and the infestations are continuing.  There is a prescription alternative called Sklice that is touted as much safer, gentler, and more effective.  I would research this and call your dr for more info if interested. 

A few home remedies have been mentioned above.  I would emphasize that the most effective method of getting rid of lice is the terribly tedious nit picking.  Get a lice comb and use it every day.  Remove the nits each and every day until there are none.  This is the only way to know if whatever treatment you choose is working. 

Next, wash all bed linens, clothes, etc in hot water and put through the dryer.  Stuffed animals and the like can be placed in a plastic bag and left to sit for a week where any lice will hatch and starve.  Vacuum everything in the house - floors and furniture.  Don't forget your car, take a vacuum to car seats, head rests, anything fabric that may have come into contact with your daughter's head. 

After all of that: prevention.  Put a bit of hair product in her hair every day in order to deter the nits from sticking to the hair shaft.

chazzamatazz
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Scary! We had lice once and I freaked the hell out so bad that I couldn't even hug my little girl. :( My husband had to treat them because I couldn't come near them and when he treated me I said, "Just... if there are bugs on me dont' tell me until you're all done combing through after the shampooing, OK?" (Turned out there weren't but I was really not handling the idea very well)

I dont' know how I'd deal with it if they had it so persistently. Good luck! 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

scary I hope to never get this.  But good info on here if I ever do, thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)