Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dd got lice from school. My first time with lice. Usually I'm all about the natural way but I'm not gonna lie, I freaked and got the stuff at the store. I wasnt messing around.
I treated once. It says no need to treat a second time. So I scrubbed the house down. Treated her and myself. My2 year old was clean. Combed through her hair and picked out all the nasties.
A week later... More lice. Went through the whole house. Treated again. I didn't have them, never did so I skipped myself this time.
A week later... More lice. The rest of us are still clear. Im not using that stuff again. Twice was bad enough! and they aren't gone.
What do I do now? Where do I go from here?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Replies (11-14):
JWu
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

DD8 came down with it right before Thanksgiving. We never used any chemicals. Instread we washed everything in hot water. Bagged stuffed animals. Went through her hair (and checked everyone else) with tweezers and removed every louse and nit and dropped in a cup of alcohol. We continued to go through everyone's hair and did the removal process several times-every day for a week. This is how we were able to get louse that may have hatched from missed nits. The lil buggers are very hard to see especially if you are working on marathon sessions. It is a long and tedious process and there were some tears from DD as she was so overwhelmed with constantly needing to sit still while we went through our system. I also own a Robi comb and use that on the whole family whenever I hear that lice are in the schools.

vanityrayne
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Tea tree oil!!! It works! You also need to keep it on everyone's hair brush! Make sure her hair has some before she hoes to school. They won't go on her! Best of luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

you know what?  my mom also did buy this special nit comb that was electrified and ZAPPED the lice AND the eggs!  that also was a huge help :)

Quoting Magnolia7:

Stuff from the store does not work.  The lice have become resistant to it and the infestations are continuing.  There is a prescription alternative called Sklice that is touted as much safer, gentler, and more effective.  I would research this and call your dr for more info if interested. 

A few home remedies have been mentioned above.  I would emphasize that the most effective method of getting rid of lice is the terribly tedious nit picking.  Get a lice comb and use it every day.  Remove the nits each and every day until there are none.  This is the only way to know if whatever treatment you choose is working. 

Next, wash all bed linens, clothes, etc in hot water and put through the dryer.  Stuffed animals and the like can be placed in a plastic bag and left to sit for a week where any lice will hatch and starve.  Vacuum everything in the house - floors and furniture.  Don't forget your car, take a vacuum to car seats, head rests, anything fabric that may have come into contact with your daughter's head. 

After all of that: prevention.  Put a bit of hair product in her hair every day in order to deter the nits from sticking to the hair shaft.

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Oh, also check to see if there is a Nit-picking Salon near you. There are some salons that offer the services of going through your hair with the fine toothed comb attached to a vacuum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)