Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Coconut Oil

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 18 Replies
Where can I buy it today? I don't know of any natural stores in the area. I know the grocery store sells it by baking stuff but is that the same? We have walmarts and targets.
My baby has some really dry skin its starting to peel and I hear coconut oil is the best thing. But I need it NOW so hopefully I can just get some at a not natural store? And also, the stuff like that kinda comes in a white solid from what I've seen, do I just get a chunk and start rubbing it on?
What about his hands, is it safe if he sucks on it?
Thanks for your help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileysMom9
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Walmart usually sells Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil in the baking isle, like you said.  That's what I use because we have no natural food stores here either.  It has served me well :) 

kfrog13
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Do you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you?  They sell it there.  Just make sure it's expeller or cold pressed and non processed.  It's perfectly safe if baby sucks on it.  You can use it on your nipples if they are irritated and don't need to wipe it off.  As far as using it, it will turn liquid in your hands.  Just rub it on where ever you need it.

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

The brand at walmart and target isn't the BEST quality but it will work fine.

It'll be a soft semi-solid but will melt in your hands right away. It turns to liquid around 76 degrees.

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

It's ok if your baby sucks on it although I'd try to avoid it if you can since he's brand new (right?) to help preserve the virgin gut.

Terpsichore
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I found some at Trader Joes and GNC carries it for way too much.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Kits actually better to get oils in the food section when you can, it's cheaper and better quality because food is regulated and has to marry standards. Oils in the beauty section have no requirements so their quality is sub par.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM

i buy mine online from tropical traditions.

Lydlou02
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I just heard about coconut oil from a homeschool group I visited. They were raving about how they use it for everything from cooking to cleaning, I think the convo started about cradle cap. What do you use coconut oil for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I saw some at the grocery yesterday too.

EslingerCrew11
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I get ours at our winco in the oil section
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)