Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is it hard to find a doctor/midwife that will let you VBAC?

What about vbac2, who lets you attempt this?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My doctor had lied to me, saying he was fine with letting me vbac and in the end didn't allow it even though everything was perfect.  It's just fustrating that doctors can't be upfont and honest.

Moe1521
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I don't know ANY doctors that will allow this TBH. Good luck and sorry doc lied.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Your experience is typical. You just have to remember you are their boss and they can not force you to have surgery. Check out the vbac moms group and look up ICAN.

Its safer it most cases to have a vaginal birth even after multiple sections then to have a repeat. In a few years im going for a vba2c
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

VBA2C is most certainly done!

I'm so sorry you were a victim of "bait and switch" from your provider!  Too often we are told what we want to hear and then bullied into a delivery that goes against our wishes...

A Certified  Professional Midwife (CPM) is hands-down your best bet on being a provider who will support your wishes to VBA2C.  If you really want a hospital birth (and not a birthcenter or homebirth), you could consider a Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) or go to the Maternal Fetal Medicine ward of a MAJOR hospital to find a practitioner. 

Also, there's a VBAC Mom group here on CM that might have a few pointers for you...  :)

VintageWife
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I've never had one, sorry!

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:49 PM

You're much, much more likely to have a truly supportive care provider out of hospital.

Almost everyone I know who's attempted a hospital vbac has ended up with an unneeded repeat c-section, usually because of hospital policy and/or impatient doctor who doesn't trust birth.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

You're much, much more likely to have a truly supportive care provider out of hospital.

Almost everyone I know who's attempted a hospital vbac has ended up with an unneeded repeat c-section, usually because of hospital policy and/or impatient doctor who doesn't trust birth.

The hospital where I had my VBAC was amazing.  Honestly amazing.  Some of the residents were dill holes, but the doctors were great and the overall experience was wonderful.  I had a VBAC, DESPITE an induction at 42 weeks for gestational hypertension.  This is NOT the norm for a hospital delivery, and certainly not the norm for a VBAC.

Why am I telling you this?  Maybe someone you knows is in the same boat as I was and needs a supportive provider.  (The 400 mile drive to this facility in Salt Lake City was worth the time, effort, inconvenience, and expense for our family!)  It's nice knowing that such places do exist, and they deserve to be put them on your birthing radar!

Check them out: http://healthcare.utah.edu/womenshealth/pregnancy/highrisk.php

(They'll even work with women toward a vaginal delivery of twins and triplets!)

PEEK05
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:45 AM

My OB would have allowed a VBAC for me, had I wanted one.  I hope that you can find one just as easily!

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

The hospital where I had my VBAC was amazing.  Honestly amazing.  Some of the residents were dill holes, but the doctors were great and the overall experience was wonderful.  I had a VBAC, DESPITE an induction at 42 weeks for gestational hypertension.  This is NOT the norm for a hospital delivery, and certainly not the norm for a VBAC.

Why am I telling you this?  Maybe someone you knows is in the same boat as I was and needs a supportive provider.  (The 400 mile drive to this facility in Salt Lake City was worth the time, effort, inconvenience, and expense for our family!)  It's nice knowing that such places do exist, and they deserve to be put them on your birthing radar!

Check them out: http://healthcare.utah.edu/womenshealth/pregnancy/highrisk.php

(They'll even work with women toward a vaginal delivery of twins and triplets!)

True, there are a few truly supportive docs and hospitals out there but they're really unusual.

I'm really saddened by how many moms in my ddg wanted to have vbacs and now at the last minute are being pushed into unneeded c-sections because of "policy" instead of evidence based practice - no vbac after 40 weeks, constant monitoring leading to epidural leading to section, being told no cervical change means they won't be successful so they can't even have a trial of labor, baby is "too big" according u/s, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)