Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

low iron piog

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 13 Replies
Levi (10 months) is bruising very easily, well, I made an appointment to talk to his pediatrician about it. She walked in the room, asked some questions and then said he looks so pale, and just didn't look himself. They did a blood draw and she said it was low iron that's wrong with him. She told me to give him some iron drops and go back in a month make sure he looks better. Any one have experience with this? Any advice? Opinions on supplements?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I'm glad you posted here too, I'm interested to see what everyone says about supplementing naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM
His pediatrician said something similar to me about getting his iron up. She said to supplement with drops and feed him iron rich foods and once his iron is up to a normal level, stop the drops and he will be able to get what he needs through food. What is the finger nail test?

Quoting jellyphish:

I'm glad you posted here too, I'm interested to see what everyone says about supplementing naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Ok my dd had low iron not super low but our ped is more natural minded. Told me to give dd 1 1/4 tsp of floridex. Mind you she was 12 months when this was suggested. The same kind an adult would take. It's natural iron from veggies. It's easy on the system and doesmt cause stomach upset. I took it throughout my pregnancy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Green smoothies to the rescue!  My friend and I drank them while we were preg to help with our iron levels. They have Kale in them and they actually taste really good. I don't know if you lo is on solids or not yet, but this might help. 

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
He eats solids. I will definitely look into these.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Green smoothies to the rescue!  My friend and I drank them while we were preg to help with our iron levels. They have Kale in them and they actually taste really good. I don't know if you lo is on solids or not yet, but this might help. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Love green smoothies.. :o) 

Quoting FrumpyMama:  Green smoothies to the rescue!  My friend and I drank them while we were preg to help with our iron levels. They have Kale in them and they actually taste really good. I don't know if you lo is on solids or not yet, but this might help.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Think I can switch the soy milk for almond milk?
I don't really wanna give my son soy and he loves almond milk.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Oh yeah! I actually used Coconut milk. 

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Think I can switch the soy milk for almond milk?
I don't really wanna give my son soy and he loves almond milk.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

littlemonaghan
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
My daughter is severely anemic. We're on a high dose iron supplement twice a day. Very annoying to be honest.
We got back for our 3rd blood test to see if her iron levels have improved.
littlemonaghan
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Also she's on an iron rich diet

Quoting littlemonaghan:

My daughter is severely anemic. We're on a high dose iron supplement twice a day. Very annoying to be honest.

We got back for our 3rd blood test to see if her iron levels have improved.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)