Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Levi (10 months) is bruising very easily, well, I made an appointment to talk to his pediatrician about it. She walked in the room, asked some questions and then said he looks so pale, and just didn't look himself. They did a blood draw and she said it was low iron that's wrong with him. She told me to give him some iron drops and go back in a month make sure he looks better. Any one have experience with this? Any advice? Opinions on supplements?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Floradix or liquid chlorophyll would be good options (and a lot more absorbable by the body than the prescription iron supplements). Green smoothies is a great idea too.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're trying to bump up his iron "naturally," make sure NOT to feed dairy in the same feeding that you do an iron-rich food, as dairy prohibits absorbtion of iron.

To facilitate absorbtion, feed a citrus with your iron-rich food.

:)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM
Press on his nail bed and watch it turn white. Let go. If the color returns immediately he's good, if the white lingers for a bit, he significantly lacks iron.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

His pediatrician said something similar to me about getting his iron up. She said to supplement with drops and feed him iron rich foods and once his iron is up to a normal level, stop the drops and he will be able to get what he needs through food. What is the finger nail test?

Quoting jellyphish:

I'm glad you posted here too, I'm interested to see what everyone says about supplementing naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)