Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypnobirthing Question

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've read the book, but it doesn't really give the whole picture.  We can't afford to take a class, and I'm currently 30 weeks along.  I'm looking for videos or explanations of the breathing techniques they talk about in the book.  I've never done a natural birth before, and I really want to try this, but I don't know where to go for resources outside of the class. 

Any suggestions?

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM
I'm in the class right now. Deep breathing is all we have gotten into so far (1 class out of 5). Basically the instructor said to ultimately follow your body and what is comfortable but a guideline is in for 4 counts and out for 8. I know when I'm doing yoga and meditating I do the 7-11 (in-out).

Also look up rainbow relaxation as that is the guided meditation we are using for the class.

My class is on Thursdays until march 7th (that's the last one) so if you want a summary or have questions then Fridays are best to ask me!

Also it was recommended that the book be read at least 3 times before the birthday and that you practice relaxing at least once a day for a half hour to an hour.

Hope that helps a little!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

BUMP for hypnobirthers.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

VintageWife
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Quoting catholicmamamia:

BUMP for hypnobirthers.. :o) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM
I'm a HypnoBirthing practitioner. Have you contacted the practitioners in your area to see if they can work with you on the price? Many of us offer discounts. Read the book carefully many times. Practice the scripts that are in it as often as you can. Teaching your body how to relax deeply and quickly is important. Trust that your body is made to birth your baby. Good luck mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Which book are yall talking about?
corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The problem I seem to be having is that I can't take in deep enough breaths.  I don't know if it's because of my asthma, or because the baby is on my lungs, but I know it will be worse in 10 weeks when the due date comes.  I'm always feeling out of breath, so I can't relax while trying to do it.  It's all a big struggle for me. And I definitley can't do it on my left side like they want me to.  My heart races on that side.  I can't get past the sleep breathing/relaxation, and it's starting to really frustrate me.

I was hoping some kind of video or something would help me figure out if I'm not reading it right. 

corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I haven't, but we can't even afford to make payments.  We're already spending over $5000 for the birth center when we would only have to pay $3,000 for the hospital, so we just can't do it.  We are taking a natural childbirth class this Saturday taught by my midwife.  The birth center is just adding that to our bill, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford that one either.  :(

The book is a library book, and there are a lot of requests for it.  So I think I have to return it in a week, but then I'm going to put it on hold again and hope to check it out before the baby is born.

Quoting princess_peach:

I'm a HypnoBirthing practitioner. Have you contacted the practitioners in your area to see if they can work with you on the price? Many of us offer discounts. Read the book carefully many times. Practice the scripts that are in it as often as you can. Teaching your body how to relax deeply and quickly is important. Trust that your body is made to birth your baby. Good luck mama!

corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!!  I really appreciate it.  And keep em coming!  lol

This is my second, and with my first I had a hospital birth full of interventions.  If I didn't have a bunch of scarring in my abdomen, I think I could have dealt with contractions better.  But even the BH contractions cause terrible pain because it pulls on the scar tissue.  That's what I'm worried about, and I can't seem to get past it.   :-/  I was dilated to a 5 before I got my epidural with my first, and those contractions didn't feel any worse than menstrual cramps, except for the scar tissue pain.

princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I understand. Try looking on amazon or ebay for the book. I've seen used copies for only a few dollars. Pm me and I will try to see what else I can do to help you understand the breathing.

Quoting corbysmom531:

I haven't, but we can't even afford to make payments.  We're already spending over $5000 for the birth center when we would only have to pay $3,000 for the hospital, so we just can't do it.  We are taking a natural childbirth class this Saturday taught by my midwife.  The birth center is just adding that to our bill, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford that one either.  :(

The book is a library book, and there are a lot of requests for it.  So I think I have to return it in a week, but then I'm going to put it on hold again and hope to check it out before the baby is born.

Quoting princess_peach:

corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Thanks so much!  Today I used the CD for the first time, and I still don't think I had the counting down right, but it knocked me out cold.  I know I wasn't actually sleeping though, because I could hear my cat meowing.

Quoting princess_peach:

I understand. Try looking on amazon or ebay for the book. I've seen used copies for only a few dollars. Pm me and I will try to see what else I can do to help you understand the breathing.

Quoting corbysmom531:

Quoting princess_peach:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)