Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I have a hypnobirthing question, too!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM
  • 14 Replies
I was going to ask in the other post, but decided to just make another.
I have heard a lot of stories about women being able to relax so much (almost too well) that they aren't even aware they are in labor until very late in the game.
Is there any truth to this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amiesue1
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I used hypnobirthing BUT I was inducedat 42 weeks. So I'm not sure. But it is an amazing technique
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vanityrayne
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I used it and did great till 8cm dilated and then I got uncomfortable. But before that it did great. You can do it. It made it a lot easier for me. My first I didn't and it was a lot harder for me. Just stay focused and you can do it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

i have mixed feelings about hypnobirthing.  i think that positive affirmation about birth is a wonderful thing, but there is also something to be said about being REALLY present in your birth instead of trying to distract yourself during it.

i have known woman who did it and loved it, i have also known woman who did it and it didnt work for them.  i think you just have to do whats best for you :)

AlwaysKISA
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
That's what I am kind of on the fence about.
I want to be able to REALLY be there and be focused.

Quoting tansyflower:

i have mixed feelings about hypnobirthing.  i think that positive affirmation about birth is a wonderful thing, but there is also something to be said about being REALLY present in your birth instead of trying to distract yourself during it.

i have known woman who did it and loved it, i have also known woman who did it and it didnt work for them.  i think you just have to do whats best for you :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

my midwife recommended that i not do hypnobirthing because she  wanted me to be able to work through all the emotions of my birth and feel all the feelings associated with the experience.  i trusted her judgement. 

i had ptsd and with my first birth i totally dissociated.  the feeling of not being present in my body was NOT good for me.  so with my second i thought i might try hypnobirthing in order to help keep myself calmer and "in control".  but by working through all the trauma associated with my pelvis and sexual organs with my first birth my second birth went AMAZING.  i gave myself up to the process of labor and gave myself permission to feel all the things i had been scared of during my first labor.  just being able to go through it and be okay with whatever outcome happened was very healing for me. 

its funny because we were just talking about it last night and i am very glad that i didnt try to take my attention away from the work i was doing.  it gave me a great sense of strength to feel all those feeling, work through them and know that i gave birth to my child in the end!

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Quoting tansyflower:

AlwaysKISA
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM
See! I knew I wasn't crazy being skeptical about the whole thing. On one hand it sounds amazing. On the other hand.....I'm just not so sure.

Quoting tansyflower:

my midwife recommended that i not do hypnobirthing because she  wanted me to be able to work through all the emotions of my birth and feel all the feelings associated with the experience.  i trusted her judgement. 

i had ptsd and with my first birth i totally dissociated.  the feeling of not being present in my body was NOT good for me.  so with my second i thought i might try hypnobirthing in order to help keep myself calmer and "in control".  but by working through all the trauma associated with my pelvis and sexual organs with my first birth my second birth went AMAZING.  i gave myself up to the process of labor and gave myself permission to feel all the things i had been scared of during my first labor.  just being able to go through it and be okay with whatever outcome happened was very healing for me. 

its funny because we were just talking about it last night and i am very glad that i didnt try to take my attention away from the work i was doing.  it gave me a great sense of strength to feel all those feeling, work through them and know that i gave birth to my child in the end!

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM

dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with hypnobirthing, and if a woman wants to try it then that is great!

but i hear a lot from natural birth advocates that a womans mindset is what makes their labor better or worse.  and guess what?  labor can be painful.  labor can be intense.  labor can be scary.  labor can be easy.  labor can be beautiful.  labor can be ALLLLLL of those things plus some :)

and while having a good mindset and being educated on why natural birth is the best option is a good way to prepare yourself, that doesnt magically make labor a piece of cake for everybody and i think it does a disservice to woman to blame them for struggling with a natural birth because they somehow made it worse for themselves by feeling different emotions.  we all have different pain tolerances and emotional experiences that impact our bithing experiences.  no one birth is the same as the other.  i have known woman who felt no pain, and woman who felt like they were being cut with a knife from the inside out.  and neither experience is "wrong"....does that make sense? 

the thing i learned from my birthing experiences was that it is okay to feel WHATEVER it is that you are feeling during your labor.  after my first i blamed myself for not being strong enough and acting like a wimp....even though i had done the work and had my natural birth i still ended up feeling inadequite because i too had believed that it all about "mind over matter" and i had spent so much time preparing myself for my birth that i was shocked when i completely lost control.  my second birth taught me a valuable lesson.  sometimes giving yourself over to the process and letting yourself lose control and accept that labor in itself is an uncontrollable event can actually help you deal with it better.  i deat with it so much better the second time around because i let go of the shame and accepted my birth for exactly what it was going to be in that moment in time :)

looking back i think both of my births were equelly wonderful in their own unique ways.  they both taught me valuable lessons about myself and gave me beautiful children that i get to continue to cherish each and every day!

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

See! I knew I wasn't crazy being skeptical about the whole thing. On one hand it sounds amazing. On the other hand.....I'm just not so sure.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Quoting tansyflower:

corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope to just get down the breathing/relaxation techniques to make it through each contraction as it comes, so I won't ask for a hospital transfer till it's too late for pain relief.  lol 

Terpsichore
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I'm one of those women where it turned out hypnobirthing wasn't for me. I'd practiced, but just couldn't do it. I wish I'd had a backup plan.

Magnolia7
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I read hypnobirthing and did the CDs a few times before I had my first son.  When labor hit it was intense and I panicked and was talked into an epidural "you need this" by hubby and doctor.  My son and I both had to deal with fever and other problems that all stemmed from getting that epidural.

So this time around I feel a lot more educated, I am aware of how intense it is, but also am aware of the things that can happen once that cascade of intervention starts.  My first marriage fell apart after my son was born and I am married to an amazing and supportive man now.  So I have someone who will be firm with anyone who tries to push intervention.  I'm also doing the Hypnobabies homestudy for this birth.  I really really like it.  I can be very stressed and anxious and I find that the guided meditations are helping me a great deal just during pregnancy.  The fear clearing guide is helping me to confront and deal with my worries before the birth, and I'm very happy with that.  I'm not sure how this will all affect during the birth, but it does make me feel calmer and confident about it all and I think that will be helpful. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)