Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Odd smell down there (baby) ETA

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 21 Replies

I was changing DD's diaper and I know this is really odd, but something told me I should sniff down there. It smelled kinda weird...not sure how to explain it, just didn't smell right. I wiped her again and looked around but didn't see any sign of infection or anything but it still smelled. Currently, she's naked and airing out. Not sure what else to do... Any thoughts?

ETA: Okay, the only way I can think to describe it is that it's not sweet-smelling at all. I wouldn't call it "fishy", but it just doesn't smell clean. It appears clean, though.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM

like what kind of a smell? 

VintageWife
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Can you describe it? I mean it is a genital area that is covered and moist all day. Chances are that bacteria and yeast can grow. Noone's genitals are without some sort of scent.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I really don't know how to describe it.... It doesn't smell like anything I've ever smelled from myself... I'm trying really hard to come up with something but I just can't explain it.

Quoting tansyflower:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

It just doesn't smell clean. It doesn't smell like yeast to me and I don't think I've smelled it on myself before. It's not sweet or anything like that.

Quoting VintageWife:

Can you describe it? I mean it is a genital area that is covered and moist all day. Chances are that bacteria and yeast can grow. Noone's genitals are without some sort of scent.

tansyflower
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

does it smell sweet?  or like ammonia?  or yeasty?

Quoting mjrex87:

I really don't know how to describe it.... It doesn't smell like anything I've ever smelled from myself... I'm trying really hard to come up with something but I just can't explain it.

Quoting tansyflower:

VintageWife
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Hmmm...I'd just keep airing it out for a bit and make sure you get a warm wet cloth and just wipe all her little creases later. Little girls sure have a lot of places to clean, don't they?

Quoting mjrex87:

It just doesn't smell clean. It doesn't smell like yeast to me and I don't think I've smelled it on myself before. It's not sweet or anything like that.

Quoting VintageWife:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

No...I'm sorry I can't think of a good word for it... It just doesn't smell clean to me. But I think I do a good job of keeping that area clean...

Quoting tansyflower:

does it smell sweet?  or like ammonia?  or yeasty?

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting tansyflower:

mjrex87
by Mindy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Lol yea... thanks for the advice.

Quoting VintageWife:

Hmmm...I'd just keep airing it out for a bit and make sure you get a warm wet cloth and just wipe all her little creases later. Little girls sure have a lot of places to clean, don't they?

Quoting mjrex87:

Quoting VintageWife:

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's a musky sort of smell, it's probably ok.  lol at me not being the only one to sniff my kids. 

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Lets play guess that smell
Does it smell like beef bouillon?
(actually being serious)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)