Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to wear for a water birth?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 35 Replies

I've never done a water birth before.  I know I will probably want to labor in the birthing pool, and a regular swimsuit would probably be most comfortable for me in that situation, but what about if I decide to give birth in there?  I've seen videos of waterbirths, and I don't want to be in there naked from the waist down forever.  I'm seriously considering getting a swim skirt and cutting out the crotch area. 

Any ideas???

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I labored in the tub with my older two and honestly I just draped a hand towel over my boobs and called it good. This time around I'll probably do something similar. I'm modest with my dressing but get me near the water especially in labor and I have no modesty as long as I'm comfy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I am totally not like that.  lol  Maybe for the delivery, but not for a long period of time.

Terpsichore
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I'm considering getting a sarorg or something and wearing it as a short skirt. I haven't experimented with this though, who knows.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I wore a tank top and a gauze skirt both times.

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I wore a sports bra and no bottoms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MDWife12
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

to be honest...i was naked lol

corbysmom531
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Like something like this?  I've never heard that term, and this is what came up on google. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Womens-Gauze-Skirt/dp/B000JHYP2I

Quoting joyful_mama:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Something like that. Mine is black. I bought iron clearance at Walmart. :)

Quoting corbysmom531:

Like something like this?  I've never heard that term, and this is what came up on google. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Womens-Gauze-Skirt/dp/B000JHYP2I

Quoting joyful_mama:

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM
For myself, I don't feel comfortable naked because I have older kids that want to be there. My nine and seven year olds especially. If it was just me and dh I probably would.
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I packed a sports bra and planned to wear just that, but when the time came I was just wanting to get the baby out and ended up using a tiny towel to cover myself. 

I really can't imagine a labor with your lower half covered. Your belly will cover everything anyway. When I was 37 weeks pregnant with DD2 if I was sitting my belly almost reached my knees, lol. 

I couldn't imagine buying a maternity swim dress and cutting it. Maternity swim suits are insanely overpriced.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)