Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning/ nap time advice

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I have started to wean my 21 month old dd (mostly because I am pregnant), she only has 3 feeding morning, nap and night time.  I have taken away her naptime nursing session a few days ago and getting her to take a nap is hell.  She actually threw a screaming fit earlier....  I have tried rocking, laying down and just cuddling and most everything just makes her mad.  I knew this wouldn't go smoothly but man, anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM
How about you can't down the session time slowly every day until it's gone?
How far along are you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreysmama515
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Not sure if she would totally understand that but I guess it is worth a try.  I am 10 weeks along and it is just really uncomfortable now.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

How far along are you?

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk will probably transition in the next ten weeks making weaning easier.

Quoting Audreysmama515:

Not sure if she would totally understand that but I guess it is worth a try.  I am 10 weeks along and it is just really uncomfortable now.

Quoting pinkiebabii:

How far along are you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I wouldn't just cut nursing out completely like that, but work your way down. Nurse her until she's relaxed and THEN lay her down. She'll probably still get upset, but it might be an easier transition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I weaned my 23 month old during my pregnancy. Mind you, I waited until my milk dried up at 20 weeks which I'm sure made it easier. I timed her nursing sessions and subtracted a couple minutes every few days. It worked very well for us with no tears or tantrums. She got used to doing other things before falling asleep instead of just nursing to sleep. 

Audreysmama515
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I have been told several times to cut one feeding a week.  But that does seem a bit drastic so I was going to go with one every two weeks and I will try to slowly cut the nursing sessions down to get her used to it in between.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I would cut it down not cut it out.

littlelambe2
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Good idea. As nursing is for comfort, as well as food. My dd loved extra snuggles during this time.

Quoting Audreysmama515:

I have been told several times to cut one feeding a week.  But that does seem a bit drastic so I was going to go with one every two weeks and I will try to slowly cut the nursing sessions down to get her used to it in between.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Work on finding a transition object instead of nursing a comfort give a special blanket, toy etc for a security object

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I's still offer, but I just limit the amount of time at the breast.  Say 5mins or so, then just gently say "All Done" then switch to standing hugs and lullabyes. I was never able to just hold and rock my son because he just thought he could nurse more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)