Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

help please :) just a few quick questions!!

Posted by   + Show Post
This is my second baby, I'm almost 20 weeks. I had my daughter in the hospital and I plan to birth this baby in a hospital also. I just want to do things a bit different this time. With my daughter the nurse was nice and I liked her but she was kinda pushy and wanted things her way. For example, before I delivered, I explained that I wanted baby on my chest directly after birth and I wanted to nurse right away. I also didn't want her give a bath that night. Well next thing you know, baby was placed on my chest for about 15 seconds then she was rushed away to the warmer...after that, a tech came in while I was in the bathroom and was giving her a bath then I didn't even get a chance to nurse until she was 2 hours old because the nurse told me she was too cold to leave the warmer. I was a first time mom and didn't wanna look like a crazy person for flipping out on the nurse so I let it all go. But this time I want to know my rights before I go in for delivery. Do they *have* to let them put baby under the warmer at all?? And can I refuse the bath until the next day? Are these choices I only have if I were to birth at home? I really don't feel comfortable having a home birth but I still want things done my way. Please help :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Replies (11-12):
JessicaHetzel
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I didn't get to nurse my second son until he was 3 hours old cause they were cleaning him up. But luckily I got to put him on my chest for about an hour.  I hope they listen this time!

SunnyDayz-Ahead
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Idk if there are rules that you "have" to follow, maybe you could ask when you tour the hospital. Start telling your doctor right away that you have a birth plan and you want to stick to it. I had a midwife (cnm) w both boys and no drugs but in a birthing suite at a hospital and baby was placed on chest and I bf rt away and baby wasn't washed until next morning. If you can't obtain a cnm and you feel you won't have the power to stand up to the nurses see if you can hire a doula and let her do the dirty work, she can be your voice when you don't have one. :) GL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)