Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

PIOG- induced vbac or repeat c-section (if it comes to this)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM
  • 7 Replies

hey ladies i am looking for some facts and cant seem to find them on my won so maybe you could help.i am 38 week with baby #3(#1 was a c-section. he was 12 lb 2 oz and 24 in long. drs did things wrong during this labor so i dont think c-section was needed. #2 was a vbac. she was 8lbs 10oz and 21in long. no complications during labor). my ob is leaving town for a week in 4 weeks (when ill be 42 weeks) and his back ups are not vbac friendly. i have low platelets and he really wants to avoid a c-section cuz the risk of excess bleeding is higher with a surgery. he said at 41 weeks if i havent had the baby we will talk about repeat c-section or induced vbac. i was wondering what the risks were with each and the statistics on them so i have some numbers before we have this talk. i know the baby will probably come before 42 weeks but i want to be prepared.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That was the same for me, #1 c-section, #2 VBAC who was also 8lbs 10oz 21in :)  My doctor for #3 was not vbac friendly and as soon as I was 40 weeks he gave me a c-section.  I'm glad your dr is saying 41 weeks at least.  With #2  I was given a little pitocin and had a great vbac, I'm sure being induced would be better  that repeat c-section especially with your thrombocytopenia.

sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I don't have numbers but I do know that since you have prior scarring that pit will increase your chances of uterine rupture. I am always pro-induction before pro-surgery. A more natural approach may be your best bet if it comes down to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Not sure the exact numbers; have you checked vbacfacts.com to see if they have any information?

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Check out the vbac moms group.

I dont have stats handy but repeat risks are always high since its a major surgery. Induction increases risks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you decline both? In that week that your dr is gone if you go into labor you can labor at home and then go to the hospital. Then you don't have to worry about dealing with the non friendly vbac dr.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

To be honest, I'd decline both. Chances are good you will have your baby before your OB leaves but You should not have to make risky choices becuase he is going on vacation.  It's like a punishment!

Get a Doula, stay home as long as you can. Go in with your birth plan in hand and don't agree to a C-section.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I'd probably decline any interventions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)