Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Confessions of an Obstetrician! unnecessary c-sections

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=844

He talks about warning signs your OB is going to do an unnecessary  c-section

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Replies (21-29):
firefay
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I learned all this unfortunately after my first child's induction and c-section. :( All of my babies ended up being c-section birth. The first OB/GYN pulled the "big baby" line. None if my kids even hit 8 pounds! My first was only about 7.5 pounds at 41 weeks.
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

yikes, scary.

alphamom26
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a version with my DS. No one in my family had ever heard of it before. It was rather brutal on my DH (LOL) and it DID hurt me, but I was sooooo happy that he turned and I was able to deliver vaginally. My DD I was induced at 41 weeks because I had no signs of beginning labor. My DD was 9 pounds and her head was like one of those baby watermelons.

Not once did my doctor say anything about a c-section. That is one of the reasons I picked him. My sister had 3 c-sections. By the last one she had so much scar tissue that her doctor suggested she get a hysterectomy at only 32 years old.

peaches_04
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:10 AM
Oooh tfs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My OB did this when it came to VBAC.  He told DH and me the risks of VBAC, but never once mentioned that there are risks to the c-section, much less a REPEAT c-section.  DH listened to him and was then agains VBAC.

Quoting justone_jen:

I agree. I think a big part of it is doctors giving information in the form of an intimidating statement. My OB didn't ask, she simply said, "I will schedule your induction." It almost didn't feel like a choice. When I refused and explained my reasoning, she was defensive, and started talking about risks of meconium aspiration, and a large baby (I was 41 weeks). She had never mentioned the risk of inducing unnecessarily. I thought it was interesting that she'd willingly offer information to scare me out of my plans, but not offer the same when it came to her plans. It was as if she'd rather me be uninformed, and compliant without question.

I knew to stand my ground, but I can see how someone less informed wouldn't, KWIM?

Quoting Neuro:

Every woman needs to know her options, just tossing up the responsibility in it's entirety to the docs isn't going to help you unless you have a good doc. Always get a second opinion, always. Personally, knowing that patients here in California are dying to sue any and every doctor for medical malpractice should anything go wrong, at all, period, I can't say I blame doctors for playing it safe, but the best doctors I know will readily admit that they are not qualified and send you to someone who is.

Brandy85412
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Bumping for someone
jeanmonkey
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Thank you for posting this. I did try to have my daughter turned around but she wouldn't do it. That was def. the most painful part of my pregnancy though. She was touching her toes and determined to come out butt first so I did have a c-section in the end. I loved my doctor. Turned out that she was an assistant who helped deliver me forever ago lol. Small world.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Thank you :)

Quoting Brandy85412:

Bumping for someone

babiesbabybaby development

conejoazul
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Good for that OB to speak up like that.  I know for myself I had to fight off the sharks during my first delivery.  I feel very fortunate to have delivered without a c-section.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN