Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

peroxide for homebirth cleanup

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

If you used peroxide to get blood out of sheets and towels, how much did you put into the washer? I'm thinking at least half a bottle, depending on much blood there is? We aren't doing a waterbirth.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You don't put it in the washer, you put it on the sheets and towels after the birth is over. It bubbles and fizzes and brings the blood right out. We used it on our carpet after my intended waterbirth happened on the living room rug instead.  You can't spot a drop. 

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Ok. So pour it as needed on the towels and sheets, THEN put them in the washer?

I didn't even think about doing it that way but it makes sense. That's what I do for carpet, clothes, etc.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

You don't put it in the washer, you put it on the sheets and towels after the birth is over. It bubbles and fizzes and brings the blood right out. We used it on our carpet after my intended waterbirth happened on the living room rug instead.  You can't spot a drop. 

TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM
My mom, on the instructions of my doula, poured a half of a big bottle into a washer of warm water and let the sheets soak. I don't know for how long, but the the blood had been sitting on the sheets for THREE DAYS and came out sparkling clean, no stains or even darkened areas! I keep a spray bottle at my washer area for spot use.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM

yup, easy peasy

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Ok. So pour it as needed on the towels and sheets, THEN put them in the washer?

I didn't even think about doing it that way but it makes sense. That's what I do for carpet, clothes, etc.

Quoting FrumpyMama:

FIREFOX1336
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Vinegar works in the washer. But yeah peroxide on item before wash.
kitty8199
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I would use peroxide to get blood out of my scrubs. I'd keep adding and ribbing until the bubbles stopped, then washed like normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I'd pour it before and then wash.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Mine is in a spray bottle and is sprayed where needed, allowed to sit a while, then washed. This has always worked well for me. 

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:27 PM
This

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Mine is in a spray bottle and is sprayed where needed, allowed to sit a while, then washed. This has always worked well for me. 

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:34 PM

yep apply then wash.  Oxyclean turns into hydrogen peroxide in the washer if you'd like something additional but it shouldn't be needed, especially if you take care of it soon after

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)