Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Do you CD???

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am looking to start Cd'ing my 4 month old daughter. My biggest concern is, how to properly clean them.... What soaps are a no go, and what soaps are ok? I've heard about people stripping them.... What does that mean? And how many diapers would you suggest to start off with?!?! 

And I am interested in the AIO's.... Which brand do you suggest! :-) 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, we cd.  We started when ds was 4 weeks and dd from birth.  They are 2 1/2 and 20 months now. 

Soaps list: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Stripping is done after you get build up (can happen over time) or after any type of illness/infection.  I use 1 cup of vinegar in the 1st rinse and 1/2 cup baking soda in a second rinse.  Both rinse are colds water. 

For 4 months You probably need about 6 diapers per day.  I go 3-4 between washed for 24 minimum with a few extra in case you are late to wash or you little one has a poopy filled day or two. 

I personally hate AIO's.  They are more expensive, take longer to wash and dry, and are more prone to build up.  I use pockets and AI2 (all in two's.  Pocket have a pouch to stuff the liner in and All in 2's you usually snap or place the inserts.  Since they seperate to wash they wash and dry faster.  I personally love Bumgenius (here)with Green mountain diapers inserts (here). Also the Cuties with Cloth Booties Group has a ton of wonderful WAHM diaper makers who are all awesome.   In the end it is your choice but personally I'd stay away from AIO's. 

Mama_Gleich
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh my gosh!! Thank you sooo much for the helpful advice!!! :-) 

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

Yes, we cd.  We started when ds was 4 weeks and dd from birth.  They are 2 1/2 and 20 months now. 

Soaps list: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Stripping is done after you get build up (can happen over time) or after any type of illness/infection.  I use 1 cup of vinegar in the 1st rinse and 1/2 cup baking soda in a second rinse.  Both rinse are colds water. 

For 4 months You probably need about 6 diapers per day.  I go 3-4 between washed for 24 minimum with a few extra in case you are late to wash or you little one has a poopy filled day or two. 

I personally hate AIO's.  They are more expensive, take longer to wash and dry, and are more prone to build up.  I use pockets and AI2 (all in two's.  Pocket have a pouch to stuff the liner in and All in 2's you usually snap or place the inserts.  Since they seperate to wash they wash and dry faster.  I personally love Bumgenius (here)with Green mountain diapers inserts (here). Also the Cuties with Cloth Booties Group has a ton of wonderful WAHM diaper makers who are all awesome.   In the end it is your choice but personally I'd stay away from AIO's. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Some other sites for getting started are www.allaboutclothdiapers.com and Cotton Babies faq.

Bumgenius are popular AIOs although I know a lot of people don't like AIOs in genearl because they take so much longer to dry and are more expensive. I prefer inserts and covers personally. A lot of websites such as Kelly's Closet have trial packs so you can test out different brands and types before spending a bunch of money and buying a whole stash.

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Also more detergent info http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

I've tried bumgenius and rockin' green detergents and like them both, but we use homemade now to save money.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM
I second the pockets or AI2s!! My son goes to daycare and is CD there too! I just prestuff. Only difference for them is they put it in a wetbag instead of the trash :)

I also suggest getting a couple of a few different brands/styles. Then buy more of the ones you love! Resell the ones you don't like, you'll get a lot of your money back from those.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I do, but only part-time right now. I don't have enough in my dd's size for full-time. I'm going to cd the new baby though :)

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The cottonbabies site has lots of great info for new cd-ers..  :o) 

JessicaHetzel
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We do! We use Oh Katy's which I do not like, and flips which I love. We use Charlie's Soap. Love CDing

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I use a homemade soap or a "free" detergent. I've been cloth diapering for 3 years now and with two kids. I don't like AIOs either because they take forever to dry and they're much harder to strip! I prefer a variety of dipes. I love pockets and fitteds with covers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I love Bumgenius snap closure (not Velcro it doesn't last long) pockets. I love Smartipants pockets also. Those are my favorites. I like Thirsties fitteds and covers. They're great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN