Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am looking to start Cd'ing my 4 month old daughter. My biggest concern is, how to properly clean them.... What soaps are a no go, and what soaps are ok? I've heard about people stripping them.... What does that mean? And how many diapers would you suggest to start off with?!?! 

And I am interested in the AIO's.... Which brand do you suggest! :-) 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Replies (11-14):
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:06 AM
I use infant prefolds trifolded and laid in a cover at home. I use pockets double stuffed with a large microfiber insert and a hemp or bamboo insert at night. Pockets out & about. I don't really like AiO. I like Thirsties covers and BumGenius pockets and some WAHM(work at home mom) pockets. All snaps. Velcro doesn't hold up very long. I use Biokleen powder detergent.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM
I use gdiapers and grovia. Both are hybrids AI2 diapers. You can change the inserts and let the shells air out (alternate between changes) so you don't need as large of a stash. I only have 7 diapers (30ish inserts) and I wash every third day with free/clear detergent. I use regular prefolds from green mountain diapers in the gdiapers which are much cheaper than their gcloth inserts. There are also biodegradable disposable inserts available for them, but I only used those when my baby was pooping mecconium since that stuff is a pain to get off the cloth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I searched and found a chart online of a list of detergents that are CD safe.  I started CDing at 5 months with my 4th child.  BEST decision I ever made.  Stripping is only needed a few times a year and its to get the residue that may have built up on them.  I have hard water so we need to do it a few times a year with blue dawn dish detergent, no big deal.

I started with 25 diapers..it was enough for about 2 days..I now have about 50ish

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We use tide original powder. ONly thing that works with our hard water. I have never had to strip our diapers. I have about 40 some diapers but the amount depends on how often you want to wash. If you are looking into commercial diapers I like bumgenius but most of my stash is wahm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)