Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Time Away?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

My baby is 6 months old. In a couple of weeks a group of very old friends are having a reunion get together. It's dinner and drinks at a restaurant/bar so I definitely can't bring the baby. She is extremely attached at this age and we bed share so she comfort nurses most of the night. I cant even sneak out of bed for 20 minutes or she wakes up crying. Dad works second shift so most nights he isn't even here at bedtime and when he is she wants pretty much nothing to do with him since I'm around. Her separatin anxiety is so high she wont even let grandma hold her when Im in the same room (but when i leave she settles down). I really want to go but I can't stand the thought of her being miserable without me home at bedtime. It's a 40 min drive each way so it would be at least 3 hours and that's if the visit is brief. And I would probably have to call ahead to see if there's an outlet in the restroom or somewhere I can lug my big heavy pump to. :/ I don't want to pass this up but it seems so hard to figure out. Any Advice or suggestions?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I am not help I didn't leave ds until he was over 18 months old.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes you just have to trust a caregiver and go..enjoy yourself and know that your LO will be fine.  I work and its so hard being away...but it can be done and no one has any ill effects

Buy a car adapter and pump in your car...use a button up shirt over the pumping

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Is there a chance they would change the location to something a little more baby-friendly?

I had a really hard time separating from baby at that age - right about when he started discovering how big the world is and started becoming mobile, and then it got better in a few months.

o0laurie.love0o
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM
That's not really an option. I'm not the only one with a baby, and all but two of us have other children too. If its at a kid/baby friendly location it'll turn into a big play date and instead of visiting with each other we'll be wrangling the kids. :/

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Is there a chance they would change the location to something a little more baby-friendly?

I had a really hard time separating from baby at that age - right about when he started discovering how big the world is and started becoming mobile, and then it got better in a few months.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessica1219
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Most people make exceptions for babies in arms.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it. Obviously your baby won't be, and you're not either.

Quoting o0laurie.love0o:

That's not really an option. I'm not the only one with a baby, and all but two of us have other children too. If its at a kid/baby friendly location it'll turn into a big play date and instead of visiting with each other we'll be wrangling the kids. :/

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I've been there :(  DH and I went to a work christmas party last year and my mom ended up calling asking when we would be back because he wouldn't fall asleep without me.  We had a nice hour of visiting but it was miserable for DS.  I have no suggestions, I've never been successful leaving until baby was much older.  GL

Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I would start leaving her for trial runs. Go to the store with out her. I know it's hard to leave your baby. I hate to know they are so sad when I leave but really it will not kill any body if she's upset for a little while. Go and have fun!

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I would try to wear your LO. At that age my kids were exactly the same way and my son cried the whole time when I tried to go out with hubby a few times for a date. It was awful. I quit doing it and just wore him on dates. He would nurse to sleep. By the time my youngest came along I gave up trying to go out alone and our dates included baby until they're older. It's totally up to you though. It's your comfort level with it. Can who is watching your LO wear them? My mom did that with my son when he was old enough to be OK being separated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM
That's a good idea

Quoting Brandy85412:

I would start leaving her for trial runs. Go to the store with out her. I know it's hard to leave your baby. I hate to know they are so sad when I leave but really it will not kill any body if she's upset for a little while. Go and have fun!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)