Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Colon cleansing?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for colon cleansing. I've had a tendency to get really backed up since I delivered my second. To the point where my colon becomes hard as a rock. I saw a doctor and he suggested eliminating red meat and dairy, but the dairy has been a difficult one for me to cut completely. Any suggestions or advice?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tinakinakins
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Since having my first and only DD I've been the same. I've completely cut out red meat and dairy and I swear its like I'm a new person. Dairy was hard because of the cereal, mac n cheese, pasta etc, so I started using Lactaid, and its yummy. Maybe you could try that?

elephantmamaof2
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I'll have to give that a try! My biggest downfall with dairy is cheeses and yogurt! Does the lactaid have a different type of fat in it? The way my midwife made it sound was that my body is having a hard time breaking those fats down.

Quoting tinakinakins:

Since having my first and only DD I've been the same. I've completely cut out red meat and dairy and I swear its like I'm a new person. Dairy was hard because of the cereal, mac n cheese, pasta etc, so I started using Lactaid, and its yummy. Maybe you could try that?

tinakinakins
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Lactaid is pretty much just a lactose free version of milk. Lactaid has lactase enzymes that break down the sugars in milk and help for easier digestion. A serving of lactaid only has 2.5 grams of fat, while whole milk has around 7.93 grams. For me, it was the combo of the lactose and fat that made me miserable. So lactaid has no lactose and just a small amount of fat, making it so much easier for my body to digest the lactaid.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

I'll have to give that a try! My biggest downfall with dairy is cheeses and yogurt! Does the lactaid have a different type of fat in it? The way my midwife made it sound was that my body is having a hard time breaking those fats down.

Quoting tinakinakins:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Cutting out dairy completely sounds like the best thing to do. It's hard. Cheese was the hardest thing to do. You can buy coconut yogurt and really it's so much better! Also you can do a veggie fast where you eat mostly only veggies to clean your colon out. Plus you can make a drink from something like physllium husk powder as a natural fiber supplement during your veggie fast.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tinakinakins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
An alternative milk would be so much better. Dairy is a huge culprit for constipation. Coconut milk, rice milk, almond milk are all good alternatives. Most people don't digest cows milk properly because it's made for cows!

Quoting tinakinakins:

Lactaid is pretty much just a lactose free version of milk. Lactaid has lactase enzymes that break down the sugars in milk and help for easier digestion. A serving of lactaid only has 2.5 grams of fat, while whole milk has around 7.93 grams. For me, it was the combo of the lactose and fat that made me miserable. So lactaid has no lactose and just a small amount of fat, making it so much easier for my body to digest the lactaid.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tinakinakins:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Drink water and eat an avocado everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by June on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM

But you don't want to do the veggie fast if you're nursing.  But it's great to do if you're not!

Quoting jconney80:

Cutting out dairy completely sounds like the best thing to do. It's hard. Cheese was the hardest thing to do. You can buy coconut yogurt and really it's so much better! Also you can do a veggie fast where you eat mostly only veggies to clean your colon out. Plus you can make a drink from something like physllium husk powder as a natural fiber supplement during your veggie fast.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tinakinakins:

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Drinking extra water always helped me after birth.

elephantmamaof2
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Not nursing, my 'baby' recently turned 3 (wahhh!), but I think I am going to try the veggie fast. I've been doing surprisingly well with the dairy lately, I can't remember the last time I had milk and I've just been buying varities of cheese that I don't like so I'm not tempted lol! I've also been researching different supplements, I definitely need more fiber in my diet!

Quoting Juniper53098:

But you don't want to do the veggie fast if you're nursing.  But it's great to do if you're not!

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Quoting tinakinakins:

elephantmamaof2
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Water is all I drink, well besides coffee. You'd think I'd be going all the time with the amount of coffee I drink lol

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Drinking extra water always helped me after birth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN