Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Amusement park rides

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 37 Replies
We are going to Disneyland in a couple of weeks and I will be 18 weeks pregnant. To be clear, I am not a thrill seeker. At all. No space mountain for me pregnant or not. However, I was looking at ride descriptions, height restrictions and health advisories and I got curious. What is the main concern with pregnancy, especially in the first or second trimester, with "thrill rides"? I have noticed that the google pretty much says high speeds put too much g-force on the body and the jarring movements can cause complications.

Makes sense. However, I started looking at speeds for some of the rides (my 7 year old was curious) and I noticed that the Disneyland roller coasters are pretty slow. The Matterhorn tops out at 27mph, so 2 miles faster than the school zone. That being said, I also noticed that one didn't have a pregnant advisory. Splash Mountain I have ridden before and it is not jarring, even the drop, and tops at 40mph. Space Mountain tops out at 35mph. I can understand the g force argument for the super fast coaster that hit 60+, but for these relatively slow coasters it doesn't make sense to me.

Or is it the adrenaline surge? Any ride that advises against pregnant riders also advises against riders with heart problems. Is that the connection? Motion sickness?

I ask in here because it seems you guys in here have a greater understanding on how pregnancy actually works and not the old wives tells and ridiculousness that gets posted elsewhere ( FYI- yahoo answers is a terrifying place). Obviously, women who are high risk or have specific issues would have different considerations, so I am really just asking about your run of the mill pregnant ladies with normal, low risk pregnancies.

And, to reiterate, I am not a roller coaster lover. Regardless of my pregnancy situation, if the 1 year old can't ride it, I'm not likely to ride it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I think it's more legal than medical. I rode serious roller coasters with #1 (before I knew) and #2 (I was like 6 months, ha) and nothing happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not really sure but I'm curious too. I was pregnant while we had season passes to our amusement park here. I didn't ride anything more than the carousel LOL

iHEAVENn
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I would NOT do Matterhorn while pregnant.

I went on it just a few weeks ago, and it jerks violently. I am never going on that stupid thing ever again. 

JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM
That was kind of my thinking, but I haven't ridden enough roller coasters to really know enough about them.

Quoting larissalarie:

I think it's more legal than medical. I rode serious roller coasters with #1 (before I knew) and #2 (I was like 6 months, ha) and nothing happened.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:38 PM

lol I was thinking that it was more legal than anything too

Quoting larissalarie:

JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I'm not riding any of them. I'm a big ole chicken, lol.

Quoting iHEAVENn:

I went on it just a few weeks ago, and it jerks violently. I am never going on that stupid thing ever again. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My favorite roller coasters are wooden ones and the ones at the amusement park here are jerky!

Quoting JMmama:

That was kind of my thinking, but I haven't ridden enough roller coasters to really know enough about them.

Quoting larissalarie:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

lol I used to be so scared of roller coasters when I was younger. Now that I'm older they scare me. I guess that's what having kids does to you lol

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting iHEAVENn:

JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:41 PM
That makes sense. Some of the videos we watched today you could tell that the coasters was really jerky.

Quoting jconney80:

My favorite roller coasters are wooden ones and the ones at the amusement park here are jerky!

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting larissalarie:

JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I have stood in line for more roller coasters than I can countl. When we would go on class or youth group trips I would stand in line with all my friends, then they would ride the coaster and I would hold everyone's purse, lol.

Quoting jconney80:

lol I used to be so scared of roller coasters when I was younger. Now that I'm older they scare me. I guess that's what having kids does to you lol

Quoting JMmama:

Quoting iHEAVENn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN