Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Getting rid of the Binky... Advice Appreciated!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 32 Replies

I desperately need to get my toddler (2 1/2) off his binkies.  I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but we've had a couple big moves in the last year and I've just not been up to the task I guess.  He is extremely dependent on them at naptime and bedtime...  Refuses to go to sleep unless he has TWO, one for his mouth and one to hold/twirl around in his hands.  He is not allowed to have them at all during the day though (I have to keep them on top of the fridge during that time).

I'm pregnant with our 4th, and just want this to be over and done well before baby comes (due in July).  After the binky goes, then I have to work on keeping him asleep  and in his own bed all night!  I think it will be easier once he's not waking up freaking out over not being able to find one or both of his binkies lol (which he does almost every night at some point... it's a little ridiculous). 

Anyway... advice would be great!  I've never had this problem with my other kids... they all gave up binkies early and easily.  This boy's a little more challenging ;)

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I am pregnant with my 5th, my guy has them in the car when tired and in bed otherwise he doesnt have binkies at all but he refuses to sleep otherwise.  I HATE them, he turns 3 end of April.

I hope to have him weaned by his birthday SIGH

BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ugh... Sounds like we're in similar situations :/  It would be so much easier if he would just give them up on his own lol.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I am pregnant with my 5th, my guy has them in the car when tired and in bed otherwise he doesnt have binkies at all but he refuses to sleep otherwise.  I HATE them, he turns 3 end of April.

I hope to have him weaned by his birthday SIGH

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

If you want a person to give up a habit you must replace it with something else.  You can encourage sippy cups with water, toys, playing with you for during the times he doesn't need them for comfort.  While he's falling asleep encourage something else in his hands and stay with him until he falls asleep so he's less likely to need the comfort of binky.  If you're gonna give new baby one be prepared for regression and binky stealing.  If all this sounds like a lot of work then consider holding off for a while and just continue to limit them to when he asks.

mommathea
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I agree with the above. This is how we did it with our binky baby.  

gbcmom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We let the binky fairy take them and she left him new cars and stuff. He was almost 3.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I've heard moms cut the nipple off and let him have the binky. Apparently that's a successful method, as he still has it but doesn't like it anymore.

I donno from experience though, sorry.
GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JessicaHetzel
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Each day cut off more of the pacifier and eventually he will get annoyed at how different it feels and hopefully stop. I hear that method works the best.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

A friend gave her son those snuggly blankets with a teether attached.. good luck!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Although dd was much younger we just gave her ones she didn't like. She eventually gave them up (10 mos) good luck and like pp said I would be concerned with whether or not new baby will have one and how that will go down.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM
My son bit through his basically taking the tip off, he refused them and after three nights of him awake shrieking binky and crying for hours i sent hubby to walmart at three am to buy a new one. I wish the tip cutting worked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN