Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Unsweetened almond milk

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 16 Replies
When would you introduce it to an ebf baby? Joy is 9.5mos old. She like water in her sippy and eat baby food maybe once a day. She eats finger foods pretty well too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Not to a baby that young. Breastmilk should be her primary food for at least 12 months. Almond milk has very little fat which is important for a developing baby.

TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This.  Almond milk provides a little protein and vitamins a and d, that's it.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Not to a baby that young. Breastmilk should be her primary food for at least 12 months. Almond milk has very little fat which is important for a developing baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Nope, I sure wouldn't.
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Hera will get it when she starts eating bfast cereal. That's the only time we ever have milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Just re-read your post and saw you asked when... I started giving DS1 coconut and almond milk on occasion around 12 months but with what I know now, DS2 won't be getting any until closer to 18 months or more, and not on a daily basis.

hapababies
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I mostly stuck with water unit expressed bm until they were a year. We also drink unsweetened almond milk and unsweetened coconut milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Okay thanks! :0) I just know people introduce cows milk at this age but I don't want to start her with that and seeing as how it's from nuts I wasn't sure in that regard either. So I will stick with water until she is between 12 & 18 months. My other kids drink cows milk except when dd wants chocolate milk I give her dark chocolate almond milk. Even so we only go through maybe 1 gallon a week for the 3 of us (ds gets it in his Cheerios and i mix it with my baileys and kahlua lol) I am going to try and pour almond milk on DSs honey but Cheerios and see if he notices a differene. Lol

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Just re-read your post and saw you asked when... I started giving DS1 coconut and almond milk on occasion around 12 months but with what I know now, DS2 won't be getting any until closer to 18 months or more, and not on a daily basis.

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah the cow's milk thing around 12 months is really just because that's when most people wean off formula. Breastfed babies are perfectly fine with just mommy's milk :)

Quoting 2forKaty:

Okay thanks! :0) I just know people introduce cows milk at this age but I don't want to start her with that and seeing as how it's from nuts I wasn't sure in that regard either. So I will stick with water until she is between 12 & 18 months. My other kids drink cows milk except when dd wants chocolate milk I give her dark chocolate almond milk. Even so we only go through maybe 1 gallon a week for the 3 of us (ds gets it in his Cheerios and i mix it with my baileys and kahlua lol) I am going to try and pour almond milk on DSs honey but Cheerios and see if he notices a differene. Lol

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM
This. Baby brains need animal fat (read: breast milk fat) for two years, from what I understand. If you're planning on nursing passed a year, don't worry about milk at all, mommy's milk doesn't need to be supplemented. After two years/self weaning milk is not necessary at all and should not be relied on for nutrition.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Yeah the cow's milk thing around 12 months is really just because that's when most people wean off formula. Breastfed babies are perfectly fine with just mommy's milk :)

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM
That's kind of what I figured the reasoning for that was.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)