Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vaccines for travel

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 10 Replies

Dh and I have been talking about taking a trip to Israel or Italy in the next couple of years and I am having a difficult time finding out if we have to be vaccinated completely or only need certain ones. Ds hasn't had a shot since he was 12 months old (and I really don't want to vaccinate period). Every site I get linked to talks about the importance of being up on your vacs. We want to go and get passports soon as well. I wish I could find a straight-forward answer. Does anyone have any info on this?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM
We moved to Italy 5 yrs ago. We didn't have to get shots. The doctor just gave us physicals, but that was per military orders.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM

IDK about vaccinations and travelling.. but here is a BUMP!

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JMmama
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:19 AM
You shouldn't need any for Italy. They may list recommended vaccines but they aren't required. I don't know about Israel.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:59 AM
When i moved to italy as a kid i was ten and had to get all the boosters but i had also already had every shot possible
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Your county health department will have a list of needed shots for different areas of the world.  Call ahead, because if they don't have it on hand for the country you'll be visiting, they'll compile one for you.  (They'll likely go off of current CDC info).

In Europe, you won't need more innoculations than what you have now.  (We've never needed them, and we've been to some remote areas including Romania and Turkey)...  I think Israel is the same.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

For international travel all routine vaccinations are "recommended" but not required. The CDC classifies vaccinations by those that are "routine, recommended, and required." We've been out of the country twice, once to Colombia and once to Costa Rica and both times being unvaccinated was not ever an issue.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/vaccinations.htm

Required Vaccinations

The only vaccine required by International Health Regulations is yellow fever vaccination for travel to certain countries in sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America. Meningococcal vaccination is required by the government of Saudi Arabia for annual travel during the Hajj.

Yellow Fever

Use the Health Information for International Travel information below to determine if you will need a yellow fever certificate, and find a clinic that can give the vaccination and issue the certificate.

Meningococcal Meningitis

See Saudi Arabia Hajj Requirements, and Meningococcal Disease in Health Information for International Travel.

BlessedMammaof2
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

There are no "required" vaccinations for travel to those two places.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever-and-malaria-information-by-country.htm

Israel

Yellow Fever

Requirements: None

Recommendations: None

Malaria

No malaria transmission.

Italy (includes Holy See)

Yellow Fever

Requirements: None

Recommendations: None

Malaria

No malaria transmission.

Naegore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Thanks so much for your help!!
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good to know! 

Quoting BlessedMammaof2: For international travel all routine vaccinations are "recommended" but not required. The CDC classifies vaccinations by those that are "routine, recommended, and required."

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I know the vaccine books talks about vaccine and travel. Maybe try that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)