Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cloth diaper help

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

So, I am 98% sure we are going to use cloth diapers but it's so overwhelming right now. I know i don't want to mess with prefolds, covers, and inserts. What are some dgood all in one brands? Also, I'm not sure how i am supposed to wash them except to avoid dyes and fragrances. 

I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer, and it may never come again. -Mr. Feeny
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM
4 moms liked this

bumgenius are good AIOs and easy to find used ones inexpensively. Most diapers will come with washing instructions but here's some general info.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM

info about laundry detergents

I've used rockin' green and bumgenius detergents and like both, but use homemade now since it's cheaper.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My favorite CDs are AIOs.. I love Motherease and Bumgenius! 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:01 AM
I really like BumGenius pockets and various WAHM pockets. Cuities With Cloth Booties group has a good sticky on cloth dipes. I use infant prefolds trifolded in a cover at home and pockets double stuffed with hemp or bamboo @ night and single stuffed pockets out @ about. I use Biokleen powder to wash dipes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I just ordered 24 (which will be more than enough) KaWaii OS pocket diapers for $116.. that's an absolutely amazing deal.  This style is super easy to use and they dry very fast since you take the inserts out of the pocket to wash them.  Best thing is they'll last from shortly after birth-potty training :) 

As for washing them, you need to buy a special cloth diaper detergent.  Avoiding the dyes and fragrances is not enough because regular commercial detergents still have other things in them that can mess up your diapers.  I used BumGenius detergent with my last dipes, but I've heard really good things about SoapNuts too.  Just google Cloth Diaper detergent and you should be able to find a bunch as well as washing instructions.  Actually Cottonbabies.com has a "washing guide" as well as a whole section on special care.  Good luck and congrats :)

KMadsen
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

bumgenius are good AIOs and easy to find used ones inexpensively. Most diapers will come with washing instructions but here's some general info.

I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer, and it may never come again. -Mr. Feeny
KMadsen
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ah, okay. I will check out that site. Thanks :)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I just ordered 24 (which will be more than enough) KaWaii OS pocket diapers for $116.. that's an absolutely amazing deal.  This style is super easy to use and they dry very fast since you take the inserts out of the pocket to wash them.  Best thing is they'll last from shortly after birth-potty training :) 

As for washing them, you need to buy a special cloth diaper detergent.  Avoiding the dyes and fragrances is not enough because regular commercial detergents still have other things in them that can mess up your diapers.  I used BumGenius detergent with my last dipes, but I've heard really good things about SoapNuts too.  Just google Cloth Diaper detergent and you should be able to find a bunch as well as washing instructions.  Actually Cottonbabies.com has a "washing guide" as well as a whole section on special care.  Good luck and congrats :)

BaileysMom9
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Great :)  Oh, and I got my Kawaii diapers from theluvyourbaby.com

Quoting KMadsen:

Ah, okay. I will check out that site. Thanks :)

Quoting BaileysMom9:

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Macaroni Baby on facebook and Mudshrimps are my two favorites right now.  I usually make my own CD soap, but I like this one too:

http://www.dearestdiapers.com/A-Happy-Green-Life_bymfg_60-0-1.html

nicole2884
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM
From what i understand until your baby reaches 15 pds you well need prefolds or fitted diapers
Aio diapers take longer to dry fyi if you well line dry them like me
I have heard tide original works or all free n clear
I have also heard good thing about charlies soap
I think grovia.makes a great aio
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)