Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Homebirth.......

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 22 Replies

I have always MAINLY wanted to have a birthing center birth with a big tub for the option of a water birth. The city I will be delivery in does not have a birthing center that has tubs anymore. So my only option left is a homebirth. Im nervous about this :/ I mean I would get everything my way But all the what ifs are starting to freak me out. My son was born with the cord around his neck so tight the dr had to cut it off him, she couldnt even un wrap it. He was in the NICU for 8 hours to make sure his breathign was ok before I even got to see him. What if this happens again and we arent at a hospital where they can take care of the baby?? Ive had stitches with BOTH my deliveries, I felt the stitches being put itn with my daughter due to unexpectadly delivery her with no pain meds, with my son I had an epi so ddnt feeel them with him. THAT is honestly what I wouldnt want to feel the most!!!! A home birth If I need stitches I will have to feel them put them in  :/  Also another thing I thought about with a homeborth, there is no break to adjust to a new baby before being thrown into parenting an additional child along with your prior ones. In a hospital birth you get 2-3 days at the hospital to bond with the baby and heal before heading home and juming back into life. A homebirht....you dint get that :/ Im pretty sure my hubby would have to go towork the day after I give birth which means the day after I give birth I will have to be responsible ON MY OWN WHILE being sore as crap from pushing a baby out  for getting my daughter up n ready for school and getting three kids and myself ready to be seen in public. I just cant imagine doing that :( I know everyone has there own lives so it is not likely that people would come to the house and help me for a couple days. we are all busy and have jobs to do. Like my mom once told me, Its nobodys fault you got pregnant again and I can see her saying its no ones fault you decided to have a home birth :/ Im just really nervous about everything now. I wish I could have a hospital birth but have them leave me alone to labor how I please without hooking me up to crap and insisting on pumping my full of pitocin :(

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazmyne052010
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I understand not wanting to be hooked up to machines and have people bothering you all the time. My last birth was an unassisted homebirth. I planned on having my midwfie there, but I was one of 3 patients to go into labor that night. She arrived shortly after the baby was delivered. I loved my homebirth. If it's truely something you desire I say go for it :-)

mommathea
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting JennaFoix:

I have always MAINLY wanted to have a birthing center birth with a big tub for the option of a water birth. The city I will be delivery in does not have a birthing center that has tubs anymore. So my only option left is a homebirth. Im nervous about this :/ I mean I would get everything my way But all the what ifs are starting to freak me out.

My son was born with the cord around his neck so tight the dr had to cut it off him, she couldnt even un wrap it. He was in the NICU for 8 hours to make sure his breathign was ok before I even got to see him. What if this happens again and we arent at a hospital where they can take care of the baby??

A good midwife is trained to handle this just like a dr. Also they carry oxygen for if it is needed. As for nicu observation, it isn't because your baby needed the nicu for observation, rather it is hospital policy that all observation is done in the nicu. Your midwife will ba able to observe your baby in your arms - where your bodies natural rhythm works with baby to regulate body temperature, and breathing. 

Ive had stitches with BOTH my deliveries, I felt the stitches being put itn with my daughter due to unexpectadly delivery her with no pain meds, with my son I had an epi so ddnt feeel them with him. THAT is honestly what I wouldnt want to feel the most!!!! A home birth If I need stitches I will have to feel them put them in  :/ 

My story : 7lb 4oz baby , epi 4th degree tearing w/forcept extraction. Second baby 6lb even, needed 1 stitch...but i personally think I didn't need it, but she did it anyway. No pan med. it hurt, but not awful. 3rd baby 7lb 14oz. Tearing needed 6 stitches - posterior baby that flipped face down after his head was out. Again I said no to pain med for stitches...it hurt, but was over quickly.

4th baby. Home birth.  8lb 6oz. Posterior, AND shoulder distocia with midwife helping him out because his shoulder was stuck on my pelvic bone. A tiny scrape, no stitches. Also he didn't start breathing right away but midwife was right there to start stimulation, he was in my arms the whole time,he was still receiving oxygen and blood from the cords and mid wife's assistant was monitoring his heartbeat the whole time. As soon as he took his first breath there were no other problems, but they did monitor him every couple of minutes for the next hour...in my arms while I was breast feeding him.

Also another thing I thought about with a homeborth, there is no break to adjust to a new baby before being thrown into parenting an additional child along with your prior ones. In a hospital birth you get 2-3 days at the hospital to bond with the baby and heal before heading home and juming back into life. A homebirht....you dint get that :/ Im pretty sure my hubby would have to go towork the day after I give birth which means the day after I give birth I will have to be responsible ON MY OWN WHILE being sore as crap from pushing a baby out  for getting my daughter up n ready for school and getting three kids and myself ready to be seen in public. I just cant imagine doing that :( I know everyone has there own lives so it is not likely that people would come to the house and help me for a couple days. we are all busy and have jobs to do. Like my mom once told me, Its nobodys fault you got pregnant again and I can see her saying its no ones fault you decided to have a home birth :/ Im just really nervous about everything now. I wish I could have a hospital birth but have them leave me alone to labor how I please without hooking me up to crap and insisting on pumping my full of pitocin :(

What would you do if you were in the hospital? You do the same at home. Who's watching your kids if you were in the hospital? You spend the first couple of days on bed, just like the hospital, while life goes on. Have plenty of ready to bake meals in the freezer. Snacks and a cooler of drinks by the bed. 

Honestly after having a semi-dramatic homebirth with the shoulder distocia and partial cervical prolapse I felt better after having my homebirth than my easiest hospital birth. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

A freestanding birth center has the same equipment and level of midwifery training as a homebirth. So for a lot of people it's just the mental block of midwife coming to you vs. you going to midwife.

Nuchal cords (around the neck) are not usually an emergency and a skilled midwife will know how to handle the situation. They're often *managed* as an emergency and then become one in the hospital setting, especially when pitocin is involved and the uterus is contracting extra hard. The top of the uterus pushes the baby out, so the cord and placenta moves down with the baby. Plus umbilical cords are stretchy and will stretch out if the uterus is allowed to work on its own without hindrance. Midwives carry resuscitation equipment if needed, and will transfer if it does become an emergency. I'm guessing in your hospital birth, the cord was cut and clamped right away (sometimes done even before baby comes out), but at home the cord will be kept intact and the baby will continue to receive oxygen and blood from the placenta and rarely needs resuscitation.

Stitches - if you're working more instinctively with your body and pushing in an upright position (as opposed to on your back as usually done in hospitals), you don't usually need stitching. But most midwives can suture if needed.

A postpartum doula and lots of help lined up with meals, childcare, etc. can make the transition easier.  I hope that helps answer some of your concerns!

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You can also have a consultation/interview with the midwife you'd consider hiring. It's usually free and can be a good way to have your questions and concerns answered, get more information, etc.

tansyflower
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM

my midwife used a numbing agent to stitch so you wouldnt feel it.  as for the cord issue that must have been scary, but a properly trained midwife would know how to handle it.  also keep in mind that they are trained to know when to transfer.

as for the recovery with my second hb i had my sister take my youngest son for a day so i could spend that time at home adjusting and i missed him the entire time.  at that point my husband didnt do much for me...i pretty much laid around and breastfed 24/7.  i had meals preprepared for easy access and got up to eat when i went potty.  i made sure before the birth that our house was babyproofed to the max so having my oldest around was no big deal.  it really was not a bad transition.  i was sore for about 4 months postpardum so a couple days without my oldest one way or the other didnt make a difference in my recovery the second time around.

i will say this.  if you do not feel comfortable with a homebirth after researching and meeting a midwife then it is not for you period.  you cant go into it being scared of the what ifs...you really need to feel confident in your choice!  i knew that birthing in a hospital setting where people would try to take my child away from, eating crappy food, being woken up a bajillion times a night for monitering of my vitals, hooked up to machines and limited in my birthing options would not make me happy.  having the freedom that a homebirth offered me was something i knew was right for me and our family :)

larissalarie
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Who would care for your child while you were in the hospital and hubby was at work? Can't that same arrangement happen if you birth at home? Even if you had a birth center, you wouldn't stay for days, you'd go home hours later.

You are way less likely to tear birthing at home, but having never torn or given birth at home, I can't say much else in that topic.

The cord around the neck is usually no big deal AT ALL. 2 of my 3 so far have had the cord wrapped tightly around the neck times two. A baby floating and wriggling in fluid for 9 months with a long cord right there too, it only seems natural that they'd get wrapped up.
*If* it caused a true issue (and I think a huge number of NICU trips are unnecessary and only so they can bill more), the midwife would be trained to deal with that and call an ambulance if necessary.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I hope you get the birth you want! I don't think having one child with the cord around means it has to happen with the next.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Can't your husband arrange to use some vacation days right after the birth?

sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Planned home birth has been proven to be 10% safer than delivering in a hospital. There are way more benefits to being at home than being in a hospital. I'm truly sorry that you feel the way you do about homebirth. Its unfortunate.

Being in the comfort of your home isn't a pitfall, its an advantage to your birthing process. Even afterwards when you want your "break" your family should be there, including your so/dh. Your other kids need someone that's 100% to take care of them for a few days, homebirth or not.

Again, I'm sorry that you can't see what a wonderful opportunity it is to have a homebirth. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Dont let fear dictate your decision. I wish you the best. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN