Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

PIOG- TO THOSE THAT CD

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
  • 14 Replies

If you have had to buy a washer and dryer, what is a good one to use?

Currently I use a Roper, it's some non-Energy star non-HE washer. It's something like a 3.5 cu capacity (not exactly sure) and what I like about it is that it's all manual. I choose the temps, I choose the water level, I choose where in the cycle I want to be.

Since I wash cold, wash hot, double rinse and line dry, my diaper washes are something like this.

Hot/cold setting, to what ever load size and run the first wash on the RINSE cycle. After that is done, I start the washer from the beginning and let it run through the whole cycle, then one more rinse.

Is this even possible on a newer washer? I have heard it's like "hit the button and leave it" which in the case of doing diapers seems like it would be inefficient!

Help?!?!

p.s. I'm moving Wednesday so I need to figure this out, and just thought of my CD routine and how it might be affected.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I love my HE washer. I put in the diapers, click normal wash. Add a pre wash and second rinse with the buttons in the side and its good to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I have an he washer. You can't choose every option for every load, but I work my way around it. Also, he washers use less water, so you have to work around that too. It fills based on weight of load, not a predetermined size, as in a top loader. Here's my wash routine:

(1) rinse cycle, no spin, cold (weighs down the diapers, so there is more water used)

(2) heavy wash, no spin, hot/cold with soap (heavy wash is double agitation, double rinse)

(3) quick cycle, high spin, cold/cold with vinegar (quick cycle is just that - a quicker agitation. Goal is an additional rinse with vinegar)

That's it. I have to go to the washer 3 times, but overall it takes less than 2 hours. I love how much water it spins out. Good luck! I think you could make almost any washer work for you. 

I essentially do 3 rinses because I use the amount of soap for a heavy load, not a tiny bit like some people recommend. If I don't use a good amount of soap, they don't get clean. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

bump..don't work too hard with moving :)

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this
I have a he front loader. I want to push it off a cliff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I've heard a lot of horrible things about front loaders, not to mention I saw a video once of a LO getting stuck in one and it was turned on. Because of that video, I don't think I could ever get a front loader. *shivers*

Quoting JoJoBean8:

sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

What kind of washer do you have? Sounds like it's a breeze for you!

Quoting ceckyl:

I love my HE washer. I put in the diapers, click normal wash. Add a pre wash and second rinse with the buttons in the side and its good to go.

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I have heard HE suck for washing diapers. I know people have ways to make it work. put towels in to make it heavier so more water goes in is a suggestion i have heard. I not sure i want to get a HE one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sj3starz
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I was asking moms about washers today in my homebirth support group and one of the moms said that she usually puts in a sopping wet towel with her diapers so that it weighs down and gets more water. I thought that was pretty genius. Have you tried that before? If you have, I'm assuming that it doesn't work as well?

Also, I assume you use HE detergent, do you think that's why they aren't getting as clean with a lesser amount? I have heard that HE detergent isn't as sudsy as regular, that's why I ask.

Quoting littlelambe2:

I have an he washer. You can't choose every option for every load, but I work my way around it. Also, he washers use less water, so you have to work around that too. It fills based on weight of load, not a predetermined size, as in a top loader. Here's my wash routine:

(1) rinse cycle, no spin, cold (weighs down the diapers, so there is more water used)

(2) heavy wash, no spin, hot/cold with soap (heavy wash is double agitation, double rinse)

(3) quick cycle, high spin, cold/cold with vinegar (quick cycle is just that - a quicker agitation. Goal is an additional rinse with vinegar)

That's it. I have to go to the washer 3 times, but overall it takes less than 2 hours. I love how much water it spins out. Good luck! I think you could make almost any washer work for you. 

I essentially do 3 rinses because I use the amount of soap for a heavy load, not a tiny bit like some people recommend. If I don't use a good amount of soap, they don't get clean. 

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Quoting Sarah725: bump..don't work too hard with moving :)

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If I had a choice I wouldn't have gotten one. Our washer died and someone gave it to us. I can't wait to get a top loader in the future. It's ok for clothes but for cloth diapers it's horrible.

Quoting sj3starz:

I've heard a lot of horrible things about front loaders, not to mention I saw a video once of a LO getting stuck in one and it was turned on. Because of that video, I don't think I could ever get a front loader. *shivers*

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)