Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

If you have had to buy a washer and dryer, what is a good one to use?

Currently I use a Roper, it's some non-Energy star non-HE washer. It's something like a 3.5 cu capacity (not exactly sure) and what I like about it is that it's all manual. I choose the temps, I choose the water level, I choose where in the cycle I want to be.

Since I wash cold, wash hot, double rinse and line dry, my diaper washes are something like this.

Hot/cold setting, to what ever load size and run the first wash on the RINSE cycle. After that is done, I start the washer from the beginning and let it run through the whole cycle, then one more rinse.

Is this even possible on a newer washer? I have heard it's like "hit the button and leave it" which in the case of doing diapers seems like it would be inefficient!

Help?!?!

p.s. I'm moving Wednesday so I need to figure this out, and just thought of my CD routine and how it might be affected.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Replies (11-14):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

We went from a HE to a top loader after our HE washer died.  I will never do a HE while I have a little one in diapers again.  It took forever to get the loads worked out and even then I think our current top loader gets the diapers cleaner. 

schultzal
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM
Same!

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I have a he front loader. I want to push it off a cliff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I haven't done the towel. With the way my washer works, it spind between agitation and rinses, etc, and wring out the water in between, so I'd still have to make the load sopping before starting. Even with the extra rinses, etc, our water bill has only gone up by about $2 per month. I use Charlie's Soap for my laundry detergent. So the amount used for a heavy load is only 1 tbsp as it doesn't have any fillers in it. I was having trouble when I was using HE detergent with my CD. Charlie's Soap works awesome. I prefer to use a full scoop for the diapers. Afterall, you are washing poop, pee, and bacteria out and I"d rather it all be washed and have to do an extra rinse than to try and limit soap just because of the sudsing factor.

Quoting sj3starz:

I was asking moms about washers today in my homebirth support group and one of the moms said that she usually puts in a sopping wet towel with her diapers so that it weighs down and gets more water. I thought that was pretty genius. Have you tried that before? If you have, I'm assuming that it doesn't work as well?

Also, I assume you use HE detergent, do you think that's why they aren't getting as clean with a lesser amount? I have heard that HE detergent isn't as sudsy as regular, that's why I ask.

Quoting littlelambe2:

I have an he washer. You can't choose every option for every load, but I work my way around it. Also, he washers use less water, so you have to work around that too. It fills based on weight of load, not a predetermined size, as in a top loader. Here's my wash routine:

(1) rinse cycle, no spin, cold (weighs down the diapers, so there is more water used)

(2) heavy wash, no spin, hot/cold with soap (heavy wash is double agitation, double rinse)

(3) quick cycle, high spin, cold/cold with vinegar (quick cycle is just that - a quicker agitation. Goal is an additional rinse with vinegar)

That's it. I have to go to the washer 3 times, but overall it takes less than 2 hours. I love how much water it spins out. Good luck! I think you could make almost any washer work for you. 

I essentially do 3 rinses because I use the amount of soap for a heavy load, not a tiny bit like some people recommend. If I don't use a good amount of soap, they don't get clean. 

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

We just bought a new washer and I have had to do SO much tweaking with it to get my diapers to come out clean. Granted we are aproaching the end so the diapers are holding stink more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN