Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Acid reflux

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hey I have a friend who has a one month old with acid reflux and is resorting to giving prune baby food and rice in formula. (She does breastfeed but supplements too). Anyway, I want to offer a better solution for baby's spitting up any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

What would prune baby food do? Won't that make it worse since he/she is still so young?

We eneded up using rice in my ds's formula but my ds had massive feeding issues after a severe vax reaction and lost a lot of weight.  He would throw up everything and no meds helped.  We ended up going to a chiro and getting a g-tube.  I know our situation is different but a chiro really did help when my dd had some reflux issues. 

larissalarie
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
"Reflux" is grossly overdiagnised anymore.

The first things to do are: make sure feedings are small (2 ounces), lay on an incline, breastfeeding management for oversupply/overactive letdown, and eliminating all traces of dairy (especially including milk based formula)

Honestly the formula is the first thing that should go if she's having issues. Formula is known for causing excessive spit-up, among other things.

Putting crap in the bottle is completely unacceptable. That poor baby's digestive system :'(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
secondboy2012
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
We use bentonite clay and a chiropractor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM
How was the reflux diagnosed?
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I agree that reflux is over diagnosed. My second was a major spitter. It happens. It's a laundry problem not a problem to be medicated.

Somewhere along the line mothers have begun to think babies shouldn't cry or spit up and that they should poop after every feeding or they're constipated. I hate that the perception of normal has shifted so far away from the biological norm.
hapababies
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM
My second son had true GERD for the first three months of his life and my doctor strongly encouraged me to not give formula and wait to give solids until after 6 months. He told me that the gut needs to repair itself with breast milk before it can handle anything else. He was a mainstream doctor, so it surprises me everytime I hear someone say their doctor recommended solids and formula.

Quoting larissalarie:

"Reflux" is grossly overdiagnised anymore.

The first things to do are: make sure feedings are small (2 ounces), lay on an incline, breastfeeding management for oversupply/overactive letdown, and eliminating all traces of dairy (especially including milk based formula)

Honestly the formula is the first thing that should go if she's having issues. Formula is known for causing excessive spit-up, among other things.

Putting crap in the bottle is completely unacceptable. That poor baby's digestive system :'(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM

gripe water! i always thought it was just for colic babies but it has seemed to help my youngest with her spits so much. wish i would have known about it with my other two.

mom41522
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Can I ask a question to everyone? My 8 week old daughter eats then burps when she is laying down she actually spits up where it comes out of her nose I take the syringe they give u at he hospita to suck it out but she has ony done it a few times! She did it to where she actually seemed like she was chocking on it I had to turn her upside down and pat her on her back! As she gets older tho it isn't  as bad now! Is this reflux and what is a good way to help her not have it cme out her nose? They say not to lay her on her belly so what do u do?

VintageWife
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM
One month old and she's feeding her?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM
That's the worst advice for a baby with stomach problems! They shouldn't be giving any food at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)