Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supplementing question..

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am going to back to work in less than a week, and my daughter will be 8 weeks old. I am currently breastfeeding exclusively and plan to continue pumping at work.  She is staying with my mom and mother in law during the week and I will be sending milk with her.  However, I do want to send some formula too FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY.  I am a nurse so sometimes, of course, I am delayed at work and not home on time.  The doctor suggests either Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive or Gerber Good Start Gentle.  I know nothing about either.  Any opinions??

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM

first follow the one ounce per hour rule regardless of what you supplement with (breastmilk or formula).  so if you are gone 8 hours then baby ONLY gets 8 oz while you are gone.  it should be given 1-2 oz at a time out of a wide based, slow flow nipple.  you want baby to see nursing as high demand and bottles as low demand so they dont develope a preference.

that being said i would recommend pumping first thing in the morning as you will get highest pumping output at that time.  then while you are at work pump every 2-3 hours that you are away from baby in order to keep your milk supply up.  its very important to pump as often as possible.

as for what formula is better....well that is something you just have to try out and see.  every child will respond differently.  it may not hurt to contact the companies and ask for free samples so you can try it out if you need to.  also keep in mind that many times breastfed babies wont even drink formula so be prepared for that. there is also the option of donor milk which is much easier on babies tummy and wont cause any of the issues that formula does.

any other questions?

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I would reccomend that you start pumping now and have a freezer stash for emergencies instead of/ in addition to formula. Then in case of emergency you have back up BM and formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lsherrill1402
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM

nope that pretty much covers my other questions about pumping..ive been concerned my supply will decrease. I think I should be able to pump at least every 3 hours.

SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't send formula because then its there.... If you're delayed an hour or two baby will still be better off being a bit hungry than getting formula that will screw up their virgin gut 

Just my opinion.

Quoting lsherrill1402:

nope that pretty much covers my other questions about pumping..ive been concerned my supply will decrease. I think I should be able to pump at least every 3 hours.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree

Quoting SadieJames:

I personally wouldn't send formula because then its there.... If you're delayed an hour or two baby will still be better off being a bit hungry than getting formula that will screw up their virgin gut 

Just my opinion.

Quoting lsherrill1402:

VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Bumping. I know nothing about formula.

themissheather
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Just start pumping now and build up a freezer stash. It's better than formula. Supplementing can mess up baby's gut and interfere with breastfeeding. It's a slippery slope once you start.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TrentsMom84
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM

If it is your intent/desire to not give formula then do not have any on hand.  If you want to use formula to supplement you should always start with the "regular" kind and adjust only if there are issues

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Agreed, if it's there it's almost guaranteed to be used. (hence why formula companies are so very "generous" with the samples)
If there was truly an emergency where formula was needed, they could run to the store and get some at that point.

Quoting TrentsMom84:

If it is your intent/desire to not give formula then do not have any on hand.  If you want to use formula to supplement you should always start with the "regular" kind and adjust only if there are issues

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I would leave back up pumped milk, NOT formula, unless you think it would be like 24 hours of you not returning

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)