Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Inductions....piog

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 22 Replies
With both of my prior pregnancies I was induced. At this point I realize they were most likely not necessary, BUT I cannot help but think "what if my body doesn't know how to go into labor". Both times I went in with absolutely no signs of labor to come. My cervix was still high and thick and I hadn't had a single contraction. Is it possible for your body to never go into labor on it's own?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM
2 moms liked this
No, I don't believe any woman was ever pregnant into old age before the invention of the induction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM
2 moms liked this
And for the record, there are no real surefire "signs of labor". Women have been effaced and dilated to a 3-4 for over a month before labor started (me, me!), and other women who have gone to the doctor and checked and been completely closed and gone into labor later that day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annelauer
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the only way for your body to never go into labor on it's own would be to always intervene before it does. Try not to worry. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

On the flip side..... I have no idea if I dilate or efface before labor. With both my pregnancies, I wasn't checked until I arrived at the hospital in active labor. I don't think your body "can't" go into labor. It just sometimes doesn't go into labor when we want it too. My girls were 10 and 11 days "overdue" but we let them come in their own time and once labor started, they came fairly fast and easy with no complications. 

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:40 AM
3 moms liked this

I think cervical checks are the most insidious routine intervention of all. They tell you nothing. They only cause anxiety and make a woman doubt her body's ability to birth. Just don't get them. There is no reason for it.

You will go into labor. It may be 'late' but so what? As long as mama and baby are doing okay there is no reason to induce.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I think unless you have something, medical preventing it everyone will go into labor on their own
momonetime
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM
This

Quoting larissalarie:

No, I don't believe any woman was ever pregnant into old age before the invention of the induction.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I have the same fear. The ob used to call me fort knox because I never even started dilating . The dr said you usually start pregnancy at 1 cm when it's your 2nd+ plus I never did so I was induced twice. Next time I hope to have a homebirth but I fear I won't ever go into labor.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this
That is horse hockey. The last time I had cervical checks prior to labor (with babe #6) my cervix was closed up tight. Your cervix will tell you absolutely nothing about how soon babe will come or how ready your body is. Doctors and MEDwives use cervical checks as a weapon to convince women their bodies are defective.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I have the same fear. The ob used to call me fort knox because I never even started dilating . The dr said you usually start pregnancy at 1 cm when it's your 2nd+ plus I never did so I was induced twice. Next time I hope to have a homebirth but I fear I won't ever go into labor.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:38 AM

They had me believing the same before. With this one, things will happen when they want.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)