Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Anxiety in a 10yr old, help

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 42 Replies
Is there anything natural a 10ur old can take to help with intense anxiety at night? He can't sleep because he is scared, cried and even throws up he gets so upset unless a parent will sleep in his room.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

is this brand new? maybe he's just going through a phase and the best rememdy would be to just stay with him :) did something happen to bring this on?  if it's coming from nowhere, maybe you need to dig a little deeper to figure out what's going on

CafeMom Tickers
larissalarie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Diet would be the first thing if look at, if he isn't anxious about anything specific that you can address.
You can also teach him meditation/relaxation techniques, maybe some yoga before bed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM
This is my friends son. I guess he has always had troubles with night anxiety but its getting worse. Nothing new has happened in his life and so far my friend just sleeps with him at night or allows him to sleep on the floor in her room. But it is to the point now where she can't be gone at night because he will not sleep and her DH doesnt believe he is scared, he thinks he is just playing them to avoid bedtime.

Quoting Amycapl:

is this brand new? maybe he's just going through a phase and the best rememdy would be to just stay with him :) did something happen to bring this on?  if it's coming from nowhere, maybe you need to dig a little deeper to figure out what's going on

2forKaty
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM
She gives him melatonin which used to help but now that he is become g more anxious it isn't. He is already on a diet free of red 40 because it makes him hyper.

Quoting larissalarie:

Diet would be the first thing if look at, if he isn't anxious about anything specific that you can address.

You can also teach him meditation/relaxation techniques, maybe some yoga before bed?
Amycapl
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

beyond getting professional helpl, i would also consider a radical diet change including getting rid of ALL artificial colors and additives.. all processed foods in general.  cutting WAY back on sugar... ALL sugar... and perhaps getting a professional involved. poor kid :(

Quoting 2forKaty:

This is my friends son. I guess he has always had troubles with night anxiety but its getting worse. Nothing new has happened in his life and so far my friend just sleeps with him at night or allows him to sleep on the floor in her room. But it is to the point now where she can't be gone at night because he will not sleep and her DH doesnt believe he is scared, he thinks he is just playing them to avoid bedtime.

Quoting Amycapl:

CafeMom Tickers
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Mommy snuggles.
Secondarily she could try chamomile tea if he hasn't got a ragweed allergy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM
I mean more like eliminating: gluten, dairy, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

Quoting 2forKaty:

She gives him melatonin which used to help but now that he is become g more anxious it isn't. He is already on a diet free of red 40 because it makes him hyper.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2forKaty
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Can I ask, how would any of those cause anxiety? He is fine all day long, no other behavioral issue.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting larissalarie:

larissalarie
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I honestly don't have the time or inclination to explain, sorry. Food IS a drug and if people would open their eyes, they would see that most issues are caused by what we put into our body.

Good luck looking finding a drug or supplement to fix it.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Can I ask, how would any of those cause anxiety? He is fine all day long, no other behavioral issue.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM
For some kids it causes serious problems and can increase anxiety. Most kids who get a reaction from food dyes like that tend to have other serious food intolerances. I'd say there has to be some other behavior and things going on and it goes deeper than just this. My kids have severe fear of things at night that are very real to them. They have hyperactive behaviors and tend to be scared of things they can't understand as they have quite the imagination but lack the understanding of what is real and what isn't. They are on the autism spectrum.

I'd have him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician to see what's going on. Like I said it sounds like more than what your friend is sharing. Food can be a big part of amplifying anxiety and behaviors but it helps to see what else is going on.

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting 2forKaty:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN