Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

k this is going to sound awful

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM
  • 48 Replies
But the more natural I become the unhappier I am... I feel less attach to the kids now. And just bleh. Not the breastfeeding part or the bedsharing part but trying the whole gentle discipline crap... or baby wearing. ( I have an ergo) but anyways I have such a hard time being natural with my 6 yr old. Sometimes I wonder if I should stop being natural. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tansyflower
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

i say ditch the stuff you dont like and keep the stuff you do like :)

larissalarie
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
6 moms liked this
Seriously, this.

There's nothing "natural" about doing something that makes you miserable simply to fit a type.

ETA- I don't think any of us are 100% natural. For example: I baby wear at times, but there are plenty of other times I find hauling a little baby around in the car seat/carrier more convenient, or use a stroller.
And the whole family bed thing. Way not for me. I'd be miserable having 3 kids in bed with me nightly or having to spend 12 hours in bed so they'll get the sleep they need because they can't without me. What's important to me is that my children's needs are met and they aren't left alone and crying, I've been able to do that by partially bed-sharing with them as infants. Makes everyone happy :-)

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princess_peach
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If I tried to be extreme in natural living, I'd probably go crazy. I just do the the ga that work for my family. I will try new methods for things and if if doesn't work for us, I go back. Just do what works for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

What they said. 

littlelambe2
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

And. Find out what your priorities are. What's important to you. If something goes sgainst those priorities, or makes you miserable, it's just not worth it. Forget about diversify. Simplify. 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Natural parenting isn't some checklist. It's a way to do what works individually for you and your children in a way that there is a balance

Quoting larissalarie:

Seriously, this.

There's nothing "natural" about doing something that makes you miserable simply to fit a type.

ETA- I don't think any of us are 100% natural. For example: I baby wear at times, but there are plenty of other times I find hauling a little baby around in the car seat/carrier more convenient, or use a stroller.
And the whole family bed thing. Way not for me. I'd be miserable having 3 kids in bed with me nightly or having to spend 12 hours in bed so they'll get the sleep they need because they can't without me. What's important to me is that my children's needs are met and they aren't left alone and crying, I've been able to do that by partially bed-sharing with them as infants. Makes everyone happy :-)

Quoting tansyflower:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Naegore
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Just do what comes naturally for you. There are no set formulas for raising your kids in a more natural way. What works for one family won't work for another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Some kids are harder to use gentle discipline on and it makes you feel like a failure, huh? None of us in here are 100% Natural. Pick the things that work for you and ditch the ones that don't. Okay?

Megara
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I use disposable diapers, because frankly I hate cloth diapers.  I used to change my baby brother's cloth diapers and I just don't want to do it.  So I don't.  Keep what you like and ditch what you don't, it's not a contest to see who can be "most natural."

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
This is so 100% true. Not all kids respond to what people consider gentle discipline. The key to natural parenting or attachment parenting is figuring out what works for YOUR child and YOU. If you are doing NP from the viewpoint that there is a set of rules to follow then it is no different than mainstream parenting KWIM? Doing NP gives you insight to how your kids tick because you know them. Stop beating yourself up and figure out what works for them.

Quoting VintageWife:

Some kids are harder to use gentle discipline on and it makes you feel like a failure, huh? None of us in here are 100% Natural. Pick the things that work for you and ditch the ones that don't. Okay?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN